Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // 19 Jan, 7pm AEDT // Music Therapy

@LM_Bee could you explain what would usually happen in a music therapy session?

Thanks @LM_Bee Its interesting to hear how it would work in that way. Not sure i could sing with someone though LOL

@LM_Bee I may be starting to learn the ukelele soon.

Hi all, i saw the post for this today, but forgot it was on 😞

I listen to music for around 8-10 hours a day, my radio or mp3 player goes on from 9 am till 11 at night, i need music to distract, i suffer such bad anxiety it is the only way to stop my mind from cycling around all the dark thoughts, it does not matter to me what music i listen to, but i find when i am in a low mood i need sad music, is their any reason for this, or am i just trying to match the music to my moods?

Oh sorry hi everyone 🙂

It sounds like many of you are already using music well for your own mental health!  It can be really great to make different playlists for different purposes. I do this all the time with clients, and for myself. It's easy with alot of the music streaming services now too. Some playlists that I have are:

- Music for relaxation when I'm anxious, having trouble sleeping, or just want to take my mind off things

- Songs that will pick me up when I'm feeling down

- Music that I can empathise with when I'm feeling low (this is just as important)

- Songs to energise or motivate me (e.g. upbeat songs that make me feel like you can keep going)

I never thought music therapy was for me as I'm not naturally a good singer & I never learnt to play an instrument (would of liked to learn to play the saxophone) However, I like the idea of analysing song lyrics & making playlists. I have found myself listening to more music lately & I have got quite a few relaxing music cd's out from the library.....

Yes @LM_Bee,

i do the same, i have 8 or 9 different playists for my different moods, and chop and change between them as my mood changes through the day, Do you think listening to sad music when yo uare low, hinders a mood change or allows the emotion to be felt so you can move on?

Good question @Jacques .  I think it's about matching the music to your mood. It can be comforting and validating to hear music that seems to relate to how you are feeling or thinking.  I think it helps us feel connected to people and the world, if that makes sense? It also gives you the permission to actually feel and express how you are truly feeling, instead of immediately trying to change it.  I think this is so important!!

hi, I'm PP

When I was cool, you know....in the 2000s....I used to go to a tutor to brush up my classical guitar skills. But I find music annoys me easily now....

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance