Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // 19 Jan, 7pm AEDT // Music Therapy

Hi, I'm so interested in this and I used to play music, in concert bands/jazz bands but now too... Self conscious to do anything like that wiry other people and what not. Can this type of therapy help with confidence and such like?
(Ps I'm coming and going as I'm trying to settle two energetic monkeys errr children aggghhhh)
Lj

@Mazarita   There are music therapists scattered all around Australia.  You can do a search on the Australian Music Therapy Association website by location  --- www.austmta.org.au/
That said, if you stick around, we'll have a chat about different ways that people can use music themselves (without a music therapist). 

That's true. Music can have such a strong effect on our emotions. Hi @Mazarita , thanks for joining us! It's a pity that music therapy is not always widely available. @LM_Bee do you have any suggestions on where Forum members might be able to access music therapy?

If formal music therapy is not accessible, are there ways that we can apply some of the principles of music therapy to the music listening and playing that we do in our own time?

Music has been a big part of my life too, both participating and listening. Improvisation has been a part of the music making. I've lost my mojo for that just at the moment but hope to get into it again before too long. Maybe ukelele lessons, there are some nearby.

Yes, music was a really vital part of my life, but then when my ex didnt like me playing all the time and he had very specific music tastes that he listened too it sort of drifted out of my life i guess, and I havent been able to pick it back up.

@Former-Member, I think I remember you mentioning you played music, was it clarinet? I love jazz – that must have been loads of fun.

@Former-Member and @Mazarita, what have been some of the benefits you’ve experienced through music? I’m also wondering, with music making taking a back seat, are you finding that you use music listening as part of caring for your mental health?

Great question @Former-Member.  There are many ways that music (and music therapy) could help with confidence. 
First, if you were seeing a Music Therapist, you might choose, sing, and talk about songs that highlight your strengths and interests, and that you find self-empowering. You might look at what it is about those songs that you like, and if there is anything that you could take from the lyrics to incorporate into your life etc.

If you were looking for some 'self-help' strategies, I would recommend looking into some community music groups. There are so many out there! And groups where you can turn up and participate as little, or as much as you like.  Its a great way to be able to share music (and joy) with other people, without the immediate pressure of playing in a band.

@Acacia Not unless the Wiggles count haha! It was fun when i played music (mostly lol im a bit of a perfectionist so i found it hard to let go of mistakes). Now and then i listen to adult music and do enjoy it, and probably should do more of that in the 'me' time that i plan to look after myself.

LJ

@Acacia I'm listening to ABC chillout radio on the TV as I write. It's downtempo jazzy electronica of a kind I really like. I do this fairly regularly while I'm on the computer and sometimes when just sitting down. I also listen to music on the internet sometimes. Aside from that I like to hear the sounds of the natural day coming in through the open glass doorways (I live in the sub-tropics): birds especially have a special musical world going on out there and I love to hear snatches of it. The sound of the ocean which I hear on my walks is musical in its rhythms to me. An appreciation of these things does help my mental health I would say.

@Former-Member @Mazarita  it can take a bit to get back into the swing of making music.  Like I said in my previous post, there are a lot of different community groups popping up where you can catch up with other people and just have a jam.  

The ukelele is always a great option - one of the easier ones to learn.  I am also a fan of glee clubs, and drumming circles.  There is something about making music with other people - you don't say a word, but there can be so much understanding and cohesion just through the music.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance