Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Let's Talk About Bipolar // Tues 23rd March, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

There are also psychotic episodes, which may require hospitalisation. I had my first psychotic episode in my early 20s. I lost touch with reality, had racing thoughts, grand delusions and severe paranoia. It was a very challenging time. I was misdiagnosed as having schizophrenia but once I got the right diagnosis as having bipolar, I was able to take the right medication and work towards my recovery.

Re: Topic Tuesday // Let's Talk About Bipolar // Tues 23rd March, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

Hi everybody

My name is David, and I'm the General Manager at Bipolar Australia. I'm a bit late to the party, but happy to be here to share my perspective along with Susana.

@Meowmy@frog  Hi ladies do you goth hear voices and have delusions?

For those who might be interested in the science behind Bipolar, here’s what happens in the brain:

People with bipolar are often sensitive to changes in the chemicals used by the brain to control mood. These chemicals are called neurotransmitters. Some of the neurotransmitters that are related to bipolar disorder include serotonin, noradrenaline, and dopamine.

Serotonin is connected to many bodily functions such as sleep, wakefulness, eating, sexual activity, impulsivity, learning, and memory. Researchers believe that abnormal functioning of brain circuits that involve serotonin as a chemical messenger contribute to mood disorders such as depression and bipolar disorder.

Noradrenaline plays a role in the switch to a manic episode and altering these circuits can help with the treatment of a depressive episode.

Dopamine is a chemical that regulates pleasure and emotional reward in the body. When dopamine circuits are disrupted there appears to be a connection to mania and psychosis.

Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 8.25.31 pm.png

@greenpea hey darling pea, I am sure of my actual symptoms. When I was sick, I had delusions about things and people,but no voices.

Question 2: For the community: What is your experience with Bipolar Disorder and how has it impacted your life?
Not sure we have the right label (Im not sure how much i should worry about labels) as he suffers episodes of deep depressive moods, there is never any highs.
As his partner it has been a difficult path, adversely affecting my mental health in turn affecting our children

Hi @frog 

That's a lot longer than the normal period between onset and diagnosis, which is about 10 years. I imagine that it was a rough ride.

What are some of the things that you've been able to achieve (actions, insights, relationships) now that you understand the "why" of your mood?

@greenpeaI experienced paranoia and visual hallucinations at the time I was diagnosed, but not since. Touch wood. No voices.

I will happy to explain, just ask

@frog wrote:

Hear you @greenpea 

Even when I'm well, I struggle with overwhelming emotions and am almost always aware that I'm riding a wave up or down. There's not much middle ground.

I was grateful for the diagnosis, after 30 years of feeling that my experience was different. It helped me make sense of my life.

Getting a diagnosis can be so lifechanging @frog, and really unique person to person. I am so glad to hear it was a validating experience for you💙

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance