Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Let's Talk About Bipolar // Tues 23rd March, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

Hey everyone I have a confusing diagnosis of Bipolar I and Schizoaffective Disorder ..... psychiatrists cannot make up their minds ....

Re: Topic Tuesday // Let's Talk About Bipolar // Tues 23rd March, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

Hi & welcome @frog @Meowmy & @Strivetothrive!! 😊

While we are introducing ourselves, let's get started with our first question 😊 This one has two parts, one for @SusanaBA and one for the community 

Question 1: For Susana: What is bipolar disorder?

Question 2: For the community: What is your experience with Bipolar Disorder and how has it impacted your life?

Hi @greenpea that sounds a bit frustrating! I hope you're able to get something out of the discussion this evening. Happy to have you with us! 

hello @SusanaBA@Daisydreamer@TideisTurning 

my husband has had lots of diagnosis in his life and the latest is Bi Polar 11

@Former-Member, @Sophie1 

Question 1: For Susana: What is bipolar disorder?

Bipolar disorder is the experience of mood swings, from low moods and depression to high moods and mania. These are called episodes, meaning that the mood changes happen at different times. In between episodes people living with bipolar disorder can be happy and healthy.

Bipolar disorder I has literally driven me insane. I hear voices and have delusions although those are mostly controlled with medication. now I am fat and miserable.

The experience of bipolar disorder is different for each person. The person who is experiencing the episodes will sometimes have a different view from their carers and family members.

Everyone has changes in mood, but the mood changes in bipolar disorder are more extreme. The two main mood episode types in bipolar disorder are mania and depression. The pattern of episodes is different for each person. Some people can have more serious mood episodes than others.

Hear you @greenpea 

Even when I'm well, I struggle with overwhelming emotions and am almost always aware that I'm riding a wave up or down. There's not much middle ground.

I was grateful for the diagnosis, after 30 years of feeling that my experience was different. It helped me make sense of my life.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance