Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // LGBTQIA+ & Mental Health // Tues 29th September, 7-8:30PM AEST

Hi @nashy , @Former-Member 

Re: Topic Tuesday // LGBTQIA+ & Mental Health // Tues 29th September, 7-8:30PM AEST

Hi again, 

I'm gender and sexuality questioning, at the moment I identify trans & gay. I haven't decided on pronouns. 
Looking forward to the discussion here ๐Ÿ™‚

Alright wonderful humans! Let us jump into discussion point one around the chat about the LGBTQIA+ community and mental health ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿณ๏ธโ€๐ŸŒˆ

First question! @Jynx @eth @Former-Member @Fluttershy1 @Former-Member 

What do you think are some of the common causes of poor mental health for people in the LGBTQI community?

That's awesome to hear what a supportive environment you've helped create for them @eth! Thanks for sharing Heart

Hey @Former-Member thanks so much for sharing ๐Ÿ™‚ We look forward to chatting with you too, very much!

@Schitzo Welcome! And hello @Fluttershy1 !

A little bit about myself, I'm bisexual and I've have just worked out that I'm non binary and I go by they/them

What do you think are some of the common causes of poor mental health for people in the LGBTQI community?

Thereโ€™s a lot of intersecting factors, I feel it largely stems from ongoing stigmatisation and discrimination. A lot of the community have been ostracised from their family of origin or have lost close relationships based purely on an unchangeable part of their identity.We still face challenges at every level; in individual relationships, through poor or harmful media representation, or even in words and actions that arenโ€™t understood to be homophobic or transphobic. This can lead to feelings of worthlessness, shame, or needing to hide part of who we are to avoid being hurt. Itโ€™s not usually the only cause, but it can contribute greatly to having mental health issues.

@nashy  I feel alone. 

Hi all,

I don't really "identify" with many things besides maybe being a cat lover haha.

Would've said bisexual back in the day before I knew there were more options - so pansexual now if you had to label it : )

Fine w she/her pronouns...really don't wake up in the morning and "feel like a woman" but I never think about myself in terms of gender, so I guess more gender-non-concerned than actively genderneutral, if that makes any sense

@nashy @Jynx @Former-Member @Schitzo @Fluttershy1 @Former-Member @Former-Member   one of the mental health challenges that has major effects on depression and anxiety and self-worth is gender dysphoria - feeling like you're in the wrong body.  I didn't know at the time that my child felt this from early childhood as they didn't even have the language to say so until they were in their early 20s.  It was so strong for them that, after chest-feeding 2 children, they decided to have a double mastectomy.  This after several years on 'T' as well (testerone).

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance