Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Breaking The Cycle: Addiction, Alcohol and Drugs // Tues 27th April, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

Hi I’m the Online Community Manager at Turning Point Eastern Health. I look after Counselling Online forum which is a place for peer to peer support for those recovering from drug and alcohol addiction. We launched this in 2019 and have a steady growing community heading on 3000 members. Another service I oversee is Gambling Help Online forum which is also peer to peer support for members over 18 in Australia looking to break their gambling addiction. This service has been around longer since 2013 and has over 12000 members. Both are a safe and anonymous space for people to share their lived experiences and receive support from those who are going through a similar journey. I also have a background in Psychology and Counselling and have worked for various mental health and drug and alcohol services across Victoria and South Australia. I’m looking forward to chatting with you all this evening

Re: Topic Tuesday // Breaking The Cycle: Addiction, Alcohol and Drugs // Tues 27th April, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

Hi @Hydrangea and thank you for being here tonight. You are definitiely in the right place to chat with others who can understand 💙 Throughout the chat, if you have any questions for our guests you are more than welcome to ask them

Welcome @Tarnia @greenpea 💜

Hi @Hydrangea @Tarnia & @greenpea. So glad you could join us this evening!

We are so happy to have you here @Calvin and @Hello3!

As fellow forumites, we are so excited to share tonight with you and learn more about Turning Point.

I really loved this quote @Calvin 

"I’m here to discuss the importance of understanding the ripple effect that addiction can have on peoples lives, to discuss the link between mental health and addiction and to bring light to some of the reasons why some people lean on drugs, alcohol and gambling as a coping mechanism."

I am looking forward to seeing this conversation unfold

@TideisTurning  Been looking forward to it 🙂

Hi there @Hydrangea Thanks for sharing with us tonight.

@Hydrangea wrote:

Hi, everyone!

We have a son 23 years old who has schizophrenia.  Drugs have been his maladaptive coping mechanism.  He escapes to drugs as he has not learned how to cope any other ways.

Hydrengea

Hi there @Hydrangea Thanks for sharing with us tonight.

I'd imagine that would be quite stressful as a parent. Trying to support a loved one can be difficult. When theres a mental illness involved with an addiction its usually called a 'Dual Diagnosis'. Maybe getting an assessment could help and other health professionals involved if he hasn't already. 

Hello @Calvin , @Hello3 , @TideisTurning , @Daisydreamer 

Like to tag @Fee1 

Our first question for you tonight @Hello3 @Calvin 

Question 1: We would love to hear more about the work that Turning Point do 

And for our community,

What are you looking forward to in this discussion?

I would like to hear a bit about alcoholism. My dad was an alcoholic. My sister is and I am. I also have bipolar I/schizoaffactive disorder.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance