Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Breaking The Cycle: Addiction, Alcohol and Drugs // Tues 27th April, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

Question 1: We would love to hear more about you and the work that Turning Point do?

Turning Point is a lead provider in education, research and addiction treatment where people can access an addiction specific medical service. In our counselling department we have multiple telephone/online counsellors that are available to help those struggling and Alcohol, Drugs or Gambling.

A lot of the time, our service is a first step for many people and I feel privileged and grateful that I am given the opportunity to be a part of the first steps to someones journey toward recovery. Understanding peoples unique journeys, creating connections, helping people to acknowledge their strengths, create goals and to just be that ear to listen, reminds me why I love what I do.

Even though our service is specific for people living in Victoria. You can call the Alcohol, Drug Info Service national number on 1800 250 015. 

Some of you might be familiar with our 'Addicted Australia' Docuseries that recently aired on SBS. If you haven't seen this yet it is still available to view on SBS Demand.  

Re: Topic Tuesday // Breaking The Cycle: Addiction, Alcohol and Drugs // Tues 27th April, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

@TABSmiley Happyx

Hi @Shaz51😊 For me, I'm really looking forward to learning more about TurningPoint, the work they do as well as addiction- that ripple effect @Calvin was talking about earlier! @Hydrangea & @Tarnia, what are the both of you looking forward to?

@greenpea we will definitiely be having a focus on alcoholism tonight, and @Calvin and @Hello3 are here to answer questions too. So please feel free to ask any questions you might have as we go Smiley Happy

Our son is 29, he lives with us and is now struggling with alcoholism as well as complex mental health issues. We are exhausted and really need to know how better to support him

Question 1: We would love to hear more about you and the work that Turning Point do 

Thanks @Daisydreamer Smiley Happy At Turning Point our work is to improve society's responses to addiction, in particular the issue with stigma which can often delay help-seeking. We offer a range of treatment options such as Telephone Counselling, Web chat, 7-10 day detox and/or 28 day stabilisation at Ward 1 East in Box Hill Hospital and Wellington House (Victoria) and online forums which is available to people over 18 in Australia. In particular you may find some good self-help tools and resources here on our websites below - 

https://www.counsellingonline.org.au/

https://www.gamblinghelponline.org.au/

Hi @Fhr, & welcome to the Forums and our discussion this evening. I can understand being exhausted trying to support someone struggling with alcoholism and complex mental health issues. Do you have any questions or things it might be particularly helpful to learn about in terms of providing support? 😊

myeh i dont know what to say @greenpea I am an alcoholic am nearly 60 , been drinking since 14

lots of sacrifices and wrong choices. I only seem to look for help when things going badly wrong. Last time I looked, there were a lot less services than 20 years ago when I went to rehab. When I got to Day 27 it was like had never been there, just went home for weekend and drank, then went back for walk of shame, pack stuff up and leave

Turning Point are in a really important place to be that first step and first place that someone might reach out to. As so many of us here know, the first interaction with a service can shape the direction of a helpseeking journey and it sounds like you are the right person to be taking those calls!

A lot of the time, our service is a first step for many people and I feel privileged and grateful that I am given the opportunity to be a part of the first steps to someones journey toward recovery. Understanding peoples unique journeys, creating connections, helping people to acknowledge their strengths, create goals and to just be that ear to listen, reminds me why I love what I do.

I love the focus on strengths and recovery- that hollistic approach is so important  💜

Hi Daisydreamer I am trying to connect to the forum and listen in although I think Im on the wrong page can someone guide me please so I can listen in please TIME
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance