Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Breaking The Cycle: Addiction, Alcohol and Drugs // Tues 27th April, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

Merry, thank you so much, you have given me a lot to think about here and perhaps a way to reframe this whole relationship with our son without judgement in particular. Thank you so much and I wish you all the very best in your own personal journey. I want to thank all the other contributors and Turning Point counsellors on this forum, so helpful and supportive

Re: Topic Tuesday // Breaking The Cycle: Addiction, Alcohol and Drugs // Tues 27th April, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

Question 5: What are your top tips for supporting a loved one who is living with addiction or substance use?
Where can families a
nd loved ones seek help? And what Turning Point Services are available for people looking for support for addiction and their loved ones?

It can be extremely difficult for family and loved ones of someone struggling with addiction. When we see a loved one struggling, our automatic response is to do anything we can to help that person.

Its important to set boundaries, not give in to their demands (money etc) otherwise its easy to fall into the pattern of trying to save that person which can ineffect minimise consequences involved. If you feel they are always reluctant to acknowledge their problem start having conversations with them by using open questions and approaching in a calm way. Think of open questions to get that person thinking, planting the seed for them to reevaluate how their actions is impacting themsleves, check in to see what is going on for them. Most of all engage in your own self-care. When we are supporting a loved one its important to realise that we have limited control over the choices they make, your mental health is important too, give yourself permission to take a step back when its needed.

24 hour services available:

For the National Family Drug Support Line: 1300 368 186

Family Drug Help (Victoria): 1300 660 068 

ADIS National: 1800 250 015

Thanks so much to everyone here for sharing your invaluable insights & experiences with everyone this evening. I've learnt so much from so many of you here 😊

Heart

Thanks for having us tonight @Daisydreamer and to everyone that has joined in. I hope you have found the information useful either for yourself or for supporting a loved one recovering from substance use and addiction Heart Feel free to contact us on our services and forums also Smiley Happy

Thankyou everyone for having me here tonight, its been a pleasure to help answer some of your questions. Your contribution on this platform does not go unnoticed:) 

Take one step at a time, reach out for support when needed,  and most of all be kind to yourself 🙂

Thankyou for sharing your journey 🙂

Thank you so much, this has been so amaazing. 

Thank you  @Calvin , @Hello3 😀:ok_hand:❤

Thank you everyone. At the end of Topic Tuesday, we do close replies to this post, but really encourage those that are interested to continue these conversations to do so in the community 💜

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance