Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Somethings wrong

So I thought the extended Medicare sessions was a good thing but had to go back to GP for a new referral and 'review'. I'm seeing a new GP because my old one was too far. Therapist writes a letter to ask for a review and GP says the letter says I have DID. WTF? I'm a mixture of annoyed (because it's not the first tome I've been diagnosed without knowing and with something big and something I disagree with) overwhelmingly anxious (because now the GP thinks I ha e DID when I don't), and feeling guilty (like somehow I've tricked them into thinking this). I couldn't say anything about it because I was too anxious and so she wrote it in the referral back. Once again something not true about me is in writing all over the place. Feeling overwhelmed 

Hello @destructive 

I find people who are behind the Power Threat Meaning Framework are good.

eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dqHg3WYtT8  Might be too long but some of the pdfs are short

https://www.bps.org.uk/sites/www.bps.org.uk/files/Policy/Policy%20-%20Files/PTM%20Summary.pdf 

Words can be triggering and confronting.  FInding a way that works is not always easy. Not sure if this helps ...

Thanks for sharing @Appleblossom  i haven't been able to listen to the podcast but looked at the PDF briefly (brains not too focused at the moment) but what I did absorb sounds so good. I guess part of my worry is now that label is in writing next to my name and what people will interpret from that. There would be less to misinterpret with that approach. And also yes less confronting/scary because it's just your experience not something wrong if that makes sense. I fee so messed up now. I've been trying just to not think of it but it influltrates everything. I know she was considering that but not that it was official, could have told me. Power is a good word because what power do I have to change that. Tonight's going to be rough

@destructive 

Best of luck getting through tonight. Good Self Care needed.

Smiley Happy

I had a similar experience about 4 years ago when a Gp put down Bi Polar on my form and I had never heard it applied to me before.  It was kind of shocking, rude and unprofessional really. Then I noticed other complete mistakes in her note taking.  I had to stay with her for a few years, but was wary, even though she apologised.

DID is a very specific diagnosis and I would think should be made with geat consideration and working with person/client/patient/consumer/ or however you prefer.

Cheers Apple

Smiley Happy

I thought I'd just write here rather than clogg things up with another post. Do other people feel like sometimes when you go to ask for help, like when things are really bad and you want to say so, your mind tells you you're just being stupid and need to just snap out of it. That maybe you're just making yourself this way. Then even when you feel so bad you might die you can't ask for help because you're just being stupid. Or worse, someone will actually respond with help which is what you need but then you'll freak out because you really just needed to stop being such a sook and now you've wasted someone's time and worry. How do you overcome that before it kills you. Sometimes I even have to 'prove' to myself I am unwell which involves doing something stupid but then my head says that that was just attention seeking. Even though attention is the last thing I want. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance