Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Fear

Fear for me can be a kind of constant companion that goes hand in hand with anxiety and can get worse sometimes. Usually, this is when there's been some kind of trigger (such as to a past trauma), there's something (or someone) new, uncertainty or change. Often for me, I can narrow it down to 'fear of the unknown'.

Here's a (slightly paraphrased/ shortened) quote from a show that I like that I find a helpful and slightly comforting reminder sometimes, especially when I get stuck in those moments of fear: 

Fear is a superpower. Fear can make you faster, and cleverer and stronger. 

If you're very wise and very strong, fear can make you kind. 

It doesn't matter if there's nothing under the bed or in the dark, so long as you know it's ok to be afraid of it.  

Fear is like a companion, a constant companion, always there, but that's ok. Because fear can bring us together. Fear can bring you home. Fear makes companions of us all.

Question 2 fear usually shows up in my life when I'm doing something new or outside my comfort zone but I usually find a way to do it anyway. 

cloudcore
Senior Contributor

Thank you for your responses everyone! I can see that many of us sit in a space of fear often, particularly around the unknown and change. It can also show up as a symptom of the complex mental health concerns that many of us live with. I hope you all know that it is okay to experience fear, regardless of the origin. That fear keeps us safe. 

Thank you also to @BPDSurvivor , @JungleGiants @RedHorse  for leading into our next question Smiley Happy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 3:

What are signs that fear is coming on or building up? How does fear feel physically in your body?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@BlueBay @Oaktree @SJT63 @MIFANTCARER @Arizona @pinklollipop15 @RedHorse @utopia @Shaz51 @Millieme @Owen45 @wellwellwellnez @JungleGiants  @Anastasia @Jorge @TideisTurning @pinklollipop15 

Owen45
Senior Contributor

I watched the reality TV action series, SAS Australia, during the week.  One of the episodes was titled "Fear".  The SAS Instructors gave the recruits harsh tasks to challenge their fears. Very relevant for my management of fears, phobias.  

utopia
Senior Contributor

If it is the fear of a possible physical threat (regardless of if there is an actual threat), they I freeze. Can't move. Heart beat goes beserk. I breath rapidly yet feel Im not getting enough breath. I shake. I sweat. Often I drop to the ground. Which leads to weeing myself.

If it is fear of failure, etc, my negative self talk goes crazy. One thought leading to another. All telling me why I won't succeed and how stupid I am to even think that I should try to do this thing. Lots of crying. Headache. Nor breathing properly.

When this happens, I have to take myself to bed, try and calm down / shut out my negative head talk, and go to sleep.

mum12
Casual Contributor

Fear makes me feel uncertain, uneasy in doing what I need to do. it creates a world of having to hide and avoid people and places. A confusion of who to trust and befriend and when seeing others trying to decide whether they are safe with your conversation about yourself ....

@cloudcore i'm just new here so hoping i'm responding to the right thread!

Fear for me starts with anxiety. Usually a small niggling worry about my loved ones. Then it progresses to a perceived threat to myself. If I don't think to temporarily increase meds it has ended in psychosis.

Physically, it is hard to explain. It is like my brain shuts down pathways to my body. I don't even feel like I have a body at that point.  

Arizona
Senior Contributor

Hi @cloudcore 

I'm not able to answer this question right now because my anxiety is so bad, but I will come back as soon as I can.

Hi @TideisTurning ,

Thank you for sharing the quote. It makes so much sense!

It's caused me to remember and appreciate that fear is neither a "good" nor "bad" emotion. People often associate it with negative things, hence making it a "bad" emotion.

Yet your quote clearly demonstrates the power of fear - How fear can save us out of dangerous situations. Fear can teach us new things. Fear is a superpower.

BPDSurvivor

@cloudcore @Arizona @Jorge @mum12 @utopia 

Fear can definitely be a superpower @BPDSurvivor I'm happy to hear the quote resonated with you also 😊

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance