Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Pep1
New Contributor

Family tree

The literal perplexion with doing your family tree and seeing just how much trauma exists.  Does it help to have a visual representation of why you have the difficulties you may face today?    

2 REPLIES 2
Jynx
Peer Support Worker

Re: Family tree

Hey @Pep1 welcome to the forums. Glad to have you with us! If you haven't stumbled across it already, we have a few handy dandy forums tips and tricks you might want to have a poke through.

As for family tree stuff - I guess it depends on the person, but I know I found it helpful to be able to trace certain traits and experiences through the family. Knowing the patterns and flaws of our family of origin can help us understand why they may have behaved they way they did, so we can make more empowered choices about what we want to keep, and what patterns we may need to work on breaking. Depends on what you're looking for/hoping to gain from it I suppose. Are you doing this on your own or with the help of a therapist? 

Re: Family tree

I did mine years ago, @Pep1. It was a wonderful experience. It helped me understand who I am, and to understand the paths taken by my ancestors that brought me to this point in my life.

My family history just made me realize that some people are never able to get a break—and that's my descent line. I love it anyway and wouldn't swap it for any other. I just tried to make it better going forward.

It's a wonderful insight into history in general. I hope you enjoy yours too.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance