Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Should I stay or should I go? // 18 Oct. 7pm AEDT

Hi @CherryBomb
Probably a bit of both really. I am inclined to think that the anger helps him to keep going.

I think anger and irritability is common for those who suffer from depression. It can be very upsetting.

Does that mean you have a physical issue?

Hi @Former-Member, @tancate

I know what you mean too

I stay because I love my partner ,

itas good to know that and to work from that basis, but it doesnt mean you cant reassess at this stage. You can have a conversation to try to get some more of your needs met.

I went to carers groups but most of the people in the groups were dealing with children with mental illness.

Even though my partner suffers from a MI I justify it with the fact that some "normal" people have worse behaviour than those suffering from mental illness eg people with addictions or abuse problems.

I stay because he is a wonderful husband when the illness doesn't take over but sometimes I feel like a "nagging wife" when it comes to monitoring his alcohol intake and "manic" type moods.

Hi @Mindcarers

You can have a conversation to try to get some more of your needs met.-- over time @Mindcarers, I have done that over the last 9 years

The person who is  mentally ill is my ex-husband now, and I live in the same house as him. He has undiagnosed bipolar disorder. I am the diagnoser as he will never see a mental health professional. I have studied some psychology subjects as part of the nursing degree I have just finished.  My ex-husband comes across as very narcissistic at times, and the opposite at other times. Many of the self help books you can get tell you to leave a narcissist. This why I left for 8 years. But standing on the sidelines I could see him messing up my grown up kids lives. I live in the same house but work on enforcing strict boundaries.

Hello @Melstar71

I find if I am calm and relax my husband who has a mental illness is more relaxed

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance