Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Managing mental health when travelling or away from home // Tues 16 Apr, 7pm AEDT

Hey @Snowie thats really great! A coping box can be a helpful tool generally and then to be able to have things in it to take away is useful. If you are comfortable would you mind sharing what a coping box is for those here that may not have heard of it before 🌈👍🏼

@Jm3 I can understand not being able to pack every supportive thing in. What about some tools that aren't objects - more practices such as mindfulness or apps to use even? Do you communicate with your partner around apprehensions and how you could both plan for each others together perhaps?

Has communication with people you are travelling with or to helped people feel a bit more safe in that fear of unknown?

Re: Topic Tuesday // Managing mental health when travelling or away from home // Tues 16 Apr, 7pm AEDT

Hi @Jm3 , In my coping box I have things that link to my 5 senses. So colouring book, play dough, fidget spinner, candles, smelling oils, some chocolate, cuddle toys, things like that

Oh @Jm3, I'm sorry your pup was injured! I hope he's all better now.
That really doesn't help with the anxiety, does it?

Travelling should be F U N !

Has communication with people you are travelling with or to helped people feel a bit more safe in that fear of unknown?

yes mr shaz always follows my lead , so if I have plans of how the day is going and being calm , it does helps @Lauz 

@Snowie, really enjoying your coping box ideas. Especially saved music

I'm alone so communication is mostly between my ears LOL

@Jm3 @greenspace and everyone - it is hard when we are possibly leaving behind loved ones or furbabies. Sometimes having the challenging experience like you did @Jm3 can really rattle us or leave us fearful. It can also though teach us, that even if things don't work out how we planned, they do get resolved and we do work it out - this isn't to devalue the experience but do you think there is some truth in this? When an unknown or fear came about, were you able to appreciate your strength after? (I too have a furbaby and hope yours was okay in the end!) 

@Snowie thanks for sharing your coping box with us! 

@Lauz yes definitely. My partner is like my rock in these situations. It is amazing to have someone who helps me through. Communication is about the only thing I’m good at! 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance