Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Managing mental health when travelling or away from home // Tues 16 Apr, 7pm AEDT

@greenspace  He was fine. He mostly panicked cause everyone else in the house panicked. By the time we drove home he was fine. Which is a bit annoying. 

Re: Topic Tuesday // Managing mental health when travelling or away from home // Tues 16 Apr, 7pm AEDT

Sense of humor is always good @Former-Member  as well!

Making a plan is another great tool in preparing and navigating that apprehension. Some others people have mentioned are bringing things that are familiar to them, packing coping things that help us in anxious moments, communicating. Some other practical things can be working with your GP and being prepared with your medications and supports. Has anyone ever worked with their support networks, professionals etc when going away? Doing things like setting up how to connect when out of routine or who you could connect to if not your usual support network? 

If I'm travelling with, or going to stay with, my sister I can talk with her about anxiety, and that's really helpful. But we live about 3000 km apart, and see each other a couple of times a year. 

Otherwise, it depends. One friend is very understanding. Other family members think I'm being a drama queen, so I don't talk about it, because them being judgemental is even more stressful...

A couple of times I've managed to travel by myself and stay in an airbnb so I can go to an event, but that usually only works if I'm seeing friends at the event. Otherwise I've just been too anxious and cancelled the trip.

I worry about notbeing able to find my own space as well- or that people will not understand. I just need the space but no fuss if I do.

I have a friend with anxiety and whenever he travels here his communication (usually text messages) leading up to the time goes throught the roof. If I'm meeting him somewhere he's clarifying every detail, sometimes twice, and if i spell something wrong or not answer immediately or am 1min late, it's a major meltdown. Sooooooo exhausting!
Comms are important.

Hi @Ilovehiking 👋 yes that has come up a lot tonight - finding space to just be and settle anxiety. A great tip came from @Former-Member - a bathroom can be a nice getaway. They are a room that everyone has - so reliable and you can find some coping strategies within them, such as splashing cool water on your face, feeling the tiles under your feet and just getting that time to take space. 

For me I like to have a book to read. If I'm feeling uptight I find a quiet place and read for 20-30 minutes. That really helps to stop the negative circular thinking.

Thats another great tip @Ilovehiking - sometimes an escape from anxiety and surroundings that are unknown can be in another story on the pages. And that is something you can travel with. Maybe even bringing a book you know and love could be comforting. 

Has anyone ever worked with their support networks, professionals etc when going away? Doing things like setting up how to connect when out of routine or who you could connect to if not your usual support network? 

@Lauz I am lucky that I can contact my psych and pdoc when I need too. If I email them they will get back to me so have that support when I am away. It is hard not to see them face to face but any contact is better then none.

Yes, I've sometimes had a phone call from my Aftercare support worker if I've been away on a day when I'd usually have an appointment. That's been really helpful. 

And one time when I went interstate for a week, I forgot to take all my meds, and I panicked, but I was able to ring the pharmacy in my town where I have my prescriptions held, and get them to fax the script to a pharmacy in the city I was visiting. 

I guess that showed strength or something! 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance