Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Let's Talk About Bipolar // Tues 23rd March, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

not taking medication consistently is the number one cause of relapses., true @davidharper_bal@SusanaBA 

and also being on one meds was not enough for years , until ended up in hospital and now on 2 meds which has helped 

but gets lots of emotions life he needs more meds 

@Daisydreamer@TideisTurning 

Re: Topic Tuesday // Let's Talk About Bipolar // Tues 23rd March, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

Hi @BPDSurvivor 

As I was saying to @frog the typical delay between onset and diagnosis is 10 years, so it's very interesting to see this in reverse. (Not "very interesting" to live through, I'm sure!)

Now that you've been on this journey, what advice do you have to other people who aren't sure about their "labels"?

@citttycat It sounds like you have found what works for you which is great to hear

Nowadays there are many kinds of medications for the different ways our brain works with the neurotransmiters. Some people do not produce enough of the neurotransmiter needed, others, the head of the neurons reabsorb the neurotransmiters too fast. Both ways the message is not passed. That is why there are different medications.

No doubt that meds are part of recovery.

Hi. I found out about this site because I was looking for a local support group. I have bipolar 1, diagnosed 2014

Patience, reassurance, calmness, creating a space that he feels safe and supported.

Encouraging him to share his thoughts and feelings with more people than just me

Hi @Shaz51 

Two medications is pretty common in treating bipolar. People often have a mood stabiliser, and then, if needed, an antidepressant or an antipsychotic, depending on which way they tend to trend (low or high). 

@Meowmy @frog  I get cravings re alcohol and cigarettes but have been off them for years. I presume that would be a form of self medicating. Did either of you ever feel the need to self medicate?

Since I am told that my father suffered Bipolar disorder I am interested in knowing some issues. How does an "episode" present

Welcome @Olga, glad to have you here
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance