Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// Caring For The Carer// Tues 29th November 2022 7-8:30PM AEDT

I've used free counselling and some help to take a break from the Carer Gateway.
The counselling was to help me cope with the grief and anger I was feeling towards my child. Very helpful

Re: Topic Tuesday// Caring For The Carer// Tues 29th November 2022 7-8:30PM AEDT

Ohh hugs @Karen17 ❤

@Shaz51 Is your husband receiving NDIS or My AGED CARE support?  Both of these should provide support to the unpaid carer. 

Here is a summary of some of the links that might be helpful for services! 🙂 

Our next question: What are some of the biggest challenges about being a carer?  @Karen17 

No @Karen17 , we have a very small self employed business which we have decreased over time because of my husband mental illness and my physical health problems 

I have applied for DSP but no yes yet 

@amber22 is going to post a list of supports and government benefits you might be eligible for.  For example, Centrelink have a "Carer Allowance" of about $65/week which is not means tested but based on your caring role.  You will need your GP and any formal documents of the condition of the "care recipient" but once all the paperwork is done, it can be really helpful.  

@Shaz51 if your husband has formal diagnosis, it might be worth seeing if he would be eligible for the NDIS.  https://www.ndis.gov.au/applying-access-ndis/am-i-eligible.

It can be a bit of a pain applying but it can really help. 

There's so many!!!   But some of the biggest challenges about being a carer include:

• Financial
    • 37% of primary carers have a gross household income in the two lowest quintile levels compared to only 23.5% of non-carers.
    • Providing financial support to the person they care for
  • Emotional
    • Exhuastion
    • Social isolation
    • Feelings of grief
    • Anger
    • Discrimination
    • Feelings of isolation

• Poorer Health
    • Carers are 40% more likely than the general population to suffer a chronic illness, including depression

In a 2007 study on carers by Deakin University (as part of the Australian Unity Wellbeing Index*), carers had the lowest wellbeing of any large group measured. That’s 10 years old now, so it’s probably time for a new study.

Not all carers experience these, but most of us experience them at some time.

Do you relate to any in particular?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance