Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// Caring For The Carer// Tues 29th November 2022 7-8:30PM AEDT

Hey @Shaz51 ! It's so great to have you with us tonight, thanks so much for joining. That is so lovely that you are caring for your mum, and for your husband (even if he doesn't admit to you being his carer!) 🙂 

Re: Topic Tuesday// Caring For The Carer// Tues 29th November 2022 7-8:30PM AEDT

Hi @outlander 
I'm having internet troubles.  Please just give me a tick while I reboot.  Terribly sorry

Sorry @Shaz51 ,

just getting used to this technology - I did have a practice!
What you're experiencing with your husband is common, particularly when caring for someone with complex mental health issues.  

Are you getting support services to help you in  your caring role? 

No @Karen17 , my husband had stopped all help altogether 

I find my support and encouragement here from the sane forum but that is all I have 

I looked after my mum until October when the doctor says she needs high care which I could not provide any more 

Our next question for @Karen17: What services and/or supports are available for carers?

@clh1 , @M15 

@Shaz51 That warms my heart that you find great support from SANE forums. We love having you on here! 

Sounds like you really supported your Mum as long as was possible.  Well done you.  Now that you're Mum is in high care, I imagine you haven't stopped supporting her.  
And just because your husband doesn't recognise you as a carer I bet  you are still caring for him. 
There are government supports available that you are eligible to receive and I would really encourage you to apply.  I am going to post a list of the types of supports and where to find them in a separate post so stand by...

Carers can receive support from government and other organisations to help them in their caring role.  The type of support varies but some of them include:

• Respite - where a support worker comes into your home or takes the person you care for out so you can have a break
  • Financial help with doing something for yourself
  • Counselling
  • Social activities and Support Groups
  • Emergency respite
  • Short term help with emergency costs
  • Help to find or keep a job or education
  • Carer Allowance or Carer Payment – centrelink payments

The key services I’d recommend registering with are:

Thank you  @Karen17 

Yes seeing mum 3 times a week in hospital 

And being there for my husband 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance