Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Being a male in a caring role // Tues 25 June, 7pm AEST

1.Build a solid support network, even if its not family or friends
2.speak up as much as you can about what's happening inside for you
3.practice as much self care as you can, its not being selfish to take care of yourself too

@Nino Very true,  a big responsibility at any age and for younger people there are are whole range of issues.  There are some state and national organisations who offer some good programs and support.

@Nino great tips, it isn't selfish at all.  I have been making sure I take time out for quiet a while now and whilst I still have feelings of guilt I know that the break is good for me and the person I care for.

1. Get supported and feel supported. Caring for someone is like long haul work, not a DIY project.

2. The person we care for can also care for us. It feels good to help someone. Give them that opportunity.

3. Have fun - like @eth 

Awesome tips @Greg_MenCareToo  and @Nino 

Love the focus on trying to speak up as much as you can - not easy but good to keep trying! And the support groups - whether its using a network around you or joining a group like you both said, is so valuable. 

@Lauz  for me..

Actually acknowledging the carer role

Seeking help for strategies to cope.

Seeking/ accepting help in the support role.

(For me it was being comfortable delegating to willing friends and family so I could do what I needed to do). 

Thanks everyone ofr your input.  I have enjoyed tonight even though I found it difficult to use the forum and it appears some of my replies are not there. The value of knowing you are not alone and being able to share cannot be measured. 

I hope you all take care of yourself and your loved ones.\

MrDad

@eth The workplace is a tricky one, even though there are laws and regulations around carer leave and flexibility, approaching your employer can be a bit daunting and that can add to the stress of what is going on.

@JMRD great point around caring for someone isn't a DIY project! reach out and get support always as much as we can 💪

@JMRD all good tips, your first one is gold and perfect terminology for men.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance