Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday running now: R-E-S-P-I-T-E, find out what it means to me...

what Tulip said: rest, sleep, relax.

Sounds delightful.

That concludes our live discussion for Topic Tuesday. Thanks for all your wonderful contributions. 

From tonight's discussion, I can see we have some wonderfully proactive carers who have developed some great strategies for respite.

If you are interested in formal respite, don't hesitate to contact the services mentioned in this thread. 

** Please note this discussion will remain open for one week**

Hi i'm with you

Re: Topic Tuesday 19/01: R-E-S-P-I-T-E, find out what it means to me...

I am the respite. Now I do not live with my family. I am on call for them 24-7.

Sorry for coming into this discussion so late.

Last year I had a break away from my sibling and went to Singapore.  Next month I'm going to Bali.  I promised myself from now on I'm going to go on an overseas holiday every year until I run out of countries to visit.  Getting things ticked off my bucket list as I go.

These little holidays are my time to switch off. Me, me, me, me, me time!

When I leave home I need to make sure everything is in place and taken care of.  All the bills are paid prior and I even leave lists of how to feed the pets and give them their medication.  I even package up each meal separately for each day and leave that in the refrigerator. I make sure I ask my sibling if there is anything that needs further explaining before I go.

Once that is all done I have more peace of mind that all will be okay.  If not, I'm only a text message away.

So far my sibling has done reasonably well in my absence.  I do make sure I check in every couple of days via email or even a phone call but that's part and parcel of being a carer.

My sibling is already expressing concern about me going to Bali given the updated terrorist alerts so I'll be checking in a bit more often than I usually would.

From my side of things I ask myself, "what's the worst that can happen while I'm away".  As long as my house doesn't burn down I think I can deal with most other things.

Hi i don't know why you like this post as i was tryning to like a post that said they didn't know what respite is

as the same as @GivingMick i.m the respite as we don't have it, a bit of difference i am still with my partner

its great that people have the option of respite,

I take care of my own mental health by swimming each day. Though even in the pool when doing my laps sometimes I find it hard to switch off from my carer role. Focussing on the actual physical movement while swimming helps. Trying to make one 50 metre lap mindlessly. ( That's about a minute.) The only time I was able to concentrate enough to read a book was my last 3 week respite in Finland in May. Respite is essential for one' own health Nd wellbeing.

ARAFMI Western Australia - Offering Respite for Mental Health Carers

Carers put much of their time and energy into caring for a loved one with mental illness and as a result their own health and well being can be affected.

Arafmi, Western Australia offer a range of free of charge respite options that provide carers of friends and family with mental illness, a well earned break.

Coastal Holidays

• well equipped beautifully located beach side respite houses
  • up to 7 nights
  • Shoalwater, 43km south of Perth
  • Port Denison, in the mid west region,4hrs north from Perth

Professional Health Treatments

• Massages
  • Carer Social Days
  • Pamper Days
  • Mens Carer's Social Days

Events

• Youth Camp School Holidays
  • Family Activities
  • Recreational Programs

All respite offers are subject to application criteria. For further details go to http://www.arafmi.com.au/ to make a booking contact Arafmi on 9427 7100 or email rhonda.mccullagh@arafmi.asn.au

Hi jaxx

like what i see but just one question

Hi Jaxx

I like what i see but just one question what do i do with my partner, if i go on respite

a bit confused,

cheers

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance