Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Online Event // Setting Boundaries as a Carer - with ARAFMI // Weds Aug 26th, 7-8.30pm AEST

@Centro  I am in far north Queensland  too 

Thank you @Bron , for saying that there is no right time to talk 

Re: Online Event // Setting Boundaries as a Carer - with ARAFMI // Weds Aug 26th, 7-8.30pm AEST

@Centro, have you heard of Dr Xavier Amador's book called "I'm not sick, I don't need help?" That and his LEAP Institute could have some useful info for you on how to help your loved one.

good point @Dama the pandemic does seem to be creating a lot more virtual opportunities. I'd recommend everyone check out the Arafmi website to see what online supports are available as well. Our SANE Forums blog also has a few good articles on both lived experience and carer resources.

That is why I joined the sane forum  @luckymeaunty , has really  helped me to help my husband  and mum 

@nashy , @Bron 

That is wonderful to hear

I have recently learned a concept of "Dignity of Risk".  Dignity of risk is the idea that self-determination and the right to take reasonable risks are essential for dignity and self esteem and so should not be impeded by excessively-cautious caregivers, concerned about their duty of care.  This has opened a whole new understanding of how the individuals learn rather than being taught (by us).

Thank you everyone for your insights so far, we have two questions to go!

@luckymeaunty @Shaz51 @Bron @FindingStrength @Dama and others 🙂

The next is a super important reflection as carers...

How can you reconnect with your loved ones away from caring duties? What are some things you can do with the person you care for that is separate to their treatment or recovery?  🤔

That connection, away from mental illness, is the thing that our loved ones want the most – to be seen first as a normal person. It conveys to the person that they are not their illness, and that they are important to family and friends who love and believe in them. The connection is in our attitude and in everyday things like playing board games, doing the dishes together, reminiscing about good times; having conversations …

I've had to step away sorry, my son needs me. I'll come back to thread later for all the wonderful ideas x 

I have two daughters in FNQ - they've escaped. It is a long way awayStill Im trying to set boundaries to keep them engaged and informed

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance