Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: // Online Event // Our rights as mental health carers - with Mental Health Carers NSW // Tues, Oct 27th 7-8.30pm AEDT

hello @Former-Member , @nashy@JH_MHCN 

it is 6-15pm here in QLD xx

Re: // Online Event // Our rights as mental health carers - with Mental Health Carers NSW // Tues, Oct 27th 7-8.30pm AEDT

I have felt limited when my family member was unwell and we were given very little useful information about what mental illness was, about the symptoms were being experienced, what drove decline or recovery. Like many people we had to discover many of these things for ourselves with our loved one

Hey there @Shaz51 ! Hello 🙂 How is sunny Queensland today? Smiley Very Happy

We are just discussing As a carer, has there ever been a time where the mental health sector (hospital, doctor etc) has left you feeling restricted in your role?

This was due to the intensely personal nature of mental health and illness and the strongly interpersonal nature of wellbeing and recovery. We managed this experience because of our focus on our loved one and just instinctively trying to find what helped them and to avoid the things that didn’t.

Becoming better educated about the nature of mental health and the psycho-social nature of mental health and recovery helped us to understand what was likely to help and what was not and reinforced our focus on working with our loved one ‘where they were’ to help them take their place again.

Very powerful @JH_MHCN to follow that instinct and use intuition to guide you in supporting your loved one.

As a carer, has there ever been a time where the mental health sector (hospital, doctor etc) has left you feeling restricted in your role? --- ohh yes @nashy@JH_MHCN 

even had the feeling that i was to blamed 

@Former-Member, @outlander@Anastasia@Scoo@FindingStrength@Determined 

😞 @Shaz51 I am really sorry to hear of that experience. From Mr Shaz? Or from the staff themselves? Heart

Maybe carers and peer workers of all kinds have this in common?

very true @JH_MHCN  and when you are the first timers is very hard , over time you learn as I have 

but then my husband does not want any help @nashy 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance