Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Healthy Minds Webcast Series // Everyday Mindfulness // Thurs. 22 Sep, 7pm AEST

How can I remember to implement daily mindfulness?

Re: Healthy Minds Webcast Series // Everyday Mindfulness // Thurs. 22 Sep, 7pm AEST

Hi Teej,

I think you have a choice whether to be mindful or not and sometimes it might be detrimental to use mindfulness if you are experiencing a lot of emotional pain. Distraction is quite opposite to mindfulness. You don't tune into yourself/body/mind - and with mindfulness you do. However sitting and acknowledging tough emotions can be useful. Perhaps doing it in a timely manner - go in and out of thoughts/feelings can assist you in processing them throroughly.  

I would set a reminder in your diary. I also think there are some apps available for that. Best to practice regularly and during transition times eg. before dinner, after you get home, before bed - this helps the body embedd it as a habit

that is interesting @MindfulWaves

Wow @Teej, @Shaz51, @Flower, @Misch - Thanks for all your questions so far! Great start to the night!

I thought maybe I'd give a little overview of how tonight might pan out, so that you all have a bit of an idea what's in store. First up, @Mindfulwaves will talk us through some of the attitudes of mindfulness, and then we will do a number of different experiential mindfulness exercises, pausing for some reflection and questions in between, then we'll bring it all together with one last practice and any last burning questions! Gonna be a great night!

Over to you @MindfulWaves!

Thanks Supernova!

I'm also keen to start some mindfulness practise! However before we get started I wanted to give you a heads up as is important to be aware of a few things. To help us cultivate a mindfulness practise these 7 factors are important to foster. Just as with anything new, sometimes it helps to keep the mind open and remember the following:

Non-judging

Patience

Beginners mind

Trust

Non-striving

Acceptance

Letting go

If you would like some more information about this a link will be embedded for you to have a look at!

For those interested in a bit more information please follow this link: Seven Attitudes

Ok so let's start our first practise:

Mindful break, cup of tea

Go and make yourself a cup of tea, coffee or any other beverage you enjoy drinking…

• Watch as you get up and walk over to your kitchen area
  • Notice how you fill the kettle with water
  • Look at what hands you use to reach for the tea bag
  • Observe how you pour the water into the cup and perhaps stir in the sugar

Take your time and focus on each little step, it’s a bit like a ritual. Then come back to the computer and slowly take a sip of tea.

• Notice what hands grip the tea cup
  • Feel the warmth of the tea inside of your mouth
  • Pay attention to your swallowing

Be aware of each step and really drink your tea...

Let me know how it goes!!!

My favourite way to sneak in mindfulness. Drinking a cup of tea is my go to when I don't know what to do next. It makes me feel so grounded and focused.

Great way to start thank you!

Got distracted looking at all the shapes in the frothed milk.😳  It does give you extra heightened sensations, like noticing the heat more

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance