Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

troper
New Contributor

struggling with identity and feelings of isolation

this is a bit ranty. i hope it makes sense.

i am having a difficult time at the moment- in the last few months i was a passenger in my first car-crash (thankfully only mild whiplash but the car was written off by a truck running in to us), i have been processing a difficult breakup, and have struggled with ongoing trauma issues related to sexual abuse in childhood and other sorts of traumatic experiences throughout my 20s, all while adapting to studying full-time at university a mature age first-year student, with a low-income, surviing on student allowance alone.

i am doing a minor in Indigenous Studies at university, which is forcing me to look at my identity as a fair-skinned woman with Aboriginal heritage being raised in White Australian culture, as filtered through a dutch family who migrated here in ww2. This questioning, both intellectual and emotional are bringing up some difficult thoughts and feelings- ones that are tied to my relationship with my estranged father, who was my abuser in childhood, as well as broader family relationships and how these family relationships are tied to social/cultural/political influences throughout australian history.

it is overwhelming, which is what i had expected from my engagement with academia on these issues but was not prepared for the emotional weight that comes with it, and I'm struggling with my ability to communicate all of this with the people close to me - i have a small but strong support network but currently i am fearful of either reproach, dismissal or pity by them, as ive been struggling with depressive episodes for quite a few years now and i feel guilty about putting them through it.

i am also not close with other people in my position in terms of fair-skinned Aboriginality disconnected from that culture (which features feelings of anger, grief, shame, self-doubt and fear), and i dont know how to bring up my issues with my distant family members who are in touch with their aboriginality, because it is so hard to express myself, and i feel so sad about everything related to that side of my family, and i find it very difficult to share my sadness with other people. i'm the kind of person to make a dark joke to hide my own pain, i tend to hide it, which must be a coping mechanism from childhood.

With all this, combined with other trauma related things (jumpiness, hypervigilance, trust issues) I am experiencig a lot of anxiety, and feel clammed up, feeling pretty tortured about my feelings and thoughts and my inability to express them with any sort of satisfaction.
i have been seeing a counsellor through uni to help with the trauma issues but i do not have another appointment until next week so im just sort of hoping that, in the meantine, someone out there may have been through or is going through something similar, or for just any kind of advice, support, anything to help me feel less alone!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: struggling with identity and feelings of isolation

hey @troper

Welcome to Sane Forums. There seems to be a recent increase in new members which is good 🙂

I hope that you find the forums of use to you in your mental health journey.

From the sounds of it, there is a lot for you take in and process. Perhaps more than what you expected by the sounds of it? I think we can only take so much information in before it becomes too overwhelming.

Understanding where we come from and who our ancestors are and our cultural heritage forms a pretty integral part of who we are as individuals. We have to know our history to get a grounded sense of self before we go out into the world.

You mentioned that your minor in indigenous studies is "forcing" you to look at your identity. I wonder why you chose this word. I'm not saying it is wrong, I'm just curious. I guess it is fitting because you want to know more. This sounds especially hard when you talk about your estranged father who was also your abuser.

I like how you said you didn't want pity from your support network, I wonder if that well founded desire for respect not pity could potentially be getting in the way of more meaningful and honest connection with your support network? Could you raise this very issue with them? By telling them that you don't want their pity but want their support for your journey back in time which will be tough.

Uncovering the past is a scary thing. Particularly when it is so close to our present experience. Closer than what we wish in some cases.

The best example I can give you from my own experience is in relation to my own dad. I firmly believe that he is seeing other people behind my mum's back. For a good few months there I had to bottle it up until such time as I simply could not keep it under wraps - the apple cart had to be thrown about a bit, I stopped caring about not upsetting it. On top of that I believe he is also gay - or at least questioning his sexuality because I think he is seeing men behind my mum's back. I raised this with her and then that was all I could do. It does pain me to think that he is doing that stuff, but I have done what I can and it technically is no more of my business. It is also hard when my mum is visibly depressed but denies it.

I guess the reason I tell you that is because I can relate to that raw emotional feeling of not knowing what to do, where to go, how to process it and what the correct or moral thing to do would be. All it really does is screw with our sense of self, pride and individuality.

I hope you can get to the bottom of whatever it is you must do soon. The smallest minority is the individual.

Re: struggling with identity and feelings of isolation

Hello @troper

Congrats on getting on and starting study.

I can relate to many aspects of your post.

My first friend was an Aboriginal girl in an orphanage.  Sadly she was moved on, as we wards of the state experienced often.  I can also relate to living with families that were not biologically related.  In this case they were White Australian, but my mother was Dutch so they felt very different especially in food and manners etc.

I also was a mature age student and did it very tight financially.  Started BA at 23.  Never regretted it, tho it took 7 years part time to complete, with me going back to work etc etc.

I hope you make some connections on the forum.  It has really helped break down my own isolation.

Cheers Apple

Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance