Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Broken-Mind
Contributor

Who do I talk to now?

I have been using kids helpline for about 9 years roughly, I have found them extremely helpful and feel a bond since I always spoke to the same person about the good, the bad and the ugly. But now I have reached 25 which means soon I will be outside their age range, and although its a anonymous service I can't help but grieve on losing that support. I know their is lifeline but being a crisis service I can't help but feel it isn't for me because when I want to talk to someone its not always a crisis but more but sometimes just needing to get something off my mind because otherwise my mind won't shut off. I am new here and am writing this hoping for some words of encouragement but also for hoping someone can suggest a service like kids helpline I will be able to use for those bad days where I am not in crisis but needing to talk.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Who do I talk to now?

A similar helpline would depend on what country you are in and unfortunately I have no knowledge of these services, but there are a whole bunch of people here that do know. Give them time and they will find your post and give you some information.

What I can give is sympathy. Nine years of talking to the same person that helps you immensely is a long time! I would feel the same way you do. That person must have been very helpful to get you this far.

So you were 15 when you started calling? You know that person very well by now, perhaps even well enough to ask yourself, what would that person say in this situation? Remember back on all the things that this person told you that helped and write them down. You'll have a dictionary of helping techniques for the time between when you don't have them anymore and when you find someone else. It's good to know exactly which of them work best for you, so that you can tell the next person that helps you out. The knowledge will be a good indicator of where you are, so that they can go from there.

You can do this! Best of luck to you! 

@Broken-Mind I also used to use kids helpline and had the same situation when I was 25,though I only talked to them for 6-7 years and had 3 different counsellors over that time.
Have you spoken to khl counsellor about options moving forward.
Have you also considered transferring over to face to face support.
Some states also have some form of Samaritians/befrienders or simililar over the phone services which provides a different kind of tele support and often run by people with lived experience.
It could also be helpful to look up lifelines service finder on their website, you can find different resources in your local area.
Suicide Call Back service is another great crisis service and you can get 6 Skype sessions with the same person if interested.

I'm sorry I've not been much help, I was kinda in the same boat til I turned more to my face to face supports.

Good luck in finding something that works for you.

Hi @Broken-Mind

I can imagine how tough this would be for you but don't loose hope. SANE helpline is usually available except on weekends. You dont have to wait till your in crisis to talk to them and they are helpful for me when i use them.

Have you considered getting a regular psychologist offline?

@outlander I have done face to face counselling but I am not good with people face to face, I struggle to be able to get what I want to say out often because of shame or because of fear of being judged. I like the anonymous setting of helplines, although I do prefer online chat or email style unless I'm distressed. Took me a long time to actually call kids helpline, mostly used online chat or email for a while til I gained confidence talking to the person online then I started on the phone. 

@Daughterdid I'd assumed everyone here was in Australia being sane Australia lol, but I am in Australia if that is any help

Thats ok
Alot of people are like that @Broken-Mind
Sane is pretty good, they have email online chat and phone call options through the week from 10am-10pm i think it is. Youll find their services in the 'get help' section.

Also depending on your circumstances
Ie if you were abused 1800respect and the blue knot foundation may be if help to you.

Im not sure of any others though atm.
Oh beyond blue when you log onto chat they can provide info your area as well so that could be worth having a look at...

Wasn't sure if this place was only for Australia or not. I feel more comfortable with people from other countries.

Hi @Broken-Mind

just checking in to see how your going?

@outlander I'm not too bad 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance