Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Martie
Casual Contributor

Where is the help??

I am a mother. My eldest daughter (15) has been struggling with mental health issues (anxiety, depression, self harm, suicidality and eating disorder) for approximately 2 years. 

After her 2nd inpatient stay last year we had 6 months of real improvement. A feeling of light at the end of the tunnel, albeit with that nagging feeling that it could all implode at any moment. She was even discharged from her case worker/psychologist/psychiatrist (through community health service) as they felt things were going so well (against my better judgement might I add). When the inevitable decline came we tried to get in early and get her some professional support again. As it was more than 3 months since her last visit to her pscyhologist we were told she would be treated as if she were a new patient. This meant speaking to an intake officer and going on a wait list.

Knowing this could take some time I also contacted 3 or 4 private psychologists and was told the same thing - as she is under 16 there are very few adolescent psychologists and all have long wait lists. So as we languished on several waiting lists she got worse and worse. 

I contacted one of the services that she was waiting on to be told she was 15th on the list and they could only bump her up to an appointment within a week if she was likely to attempt suicide imminently!?! They told me that I needed to be clear on the risk as other people also needed their help..

The hole we were in felt deeper than ever at that point. We understand they said.. really? Do they? The good news is I have found a clinical psychologist who will at least meet with us in 2 weeks. That's a start. Hopefully she'll like her.. but that's another problem for another day.

Is it like this for everyone else too?  

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Where is the help??

Hello @Martie,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing your experiences with your daughter and mental health services available for teenagers. This is a very important thread and really highlights the frustrations with getting the right support and services for teenagers.

Your daughter is very lucky to have you persuing finding her support and someone she could see in the next 2 weeks, it is good you have put her on waiting lists as sometimes it takes a bit of searching around to find a psychologist that connects with your daughter.

I am not sure if you have been able to get in contact with your local Headspace for services they might have available, it might also be helpful looking into other community support options as well as Mentors, Support Groups, Workshops, etc?

Headspace

1800 650 890

https://headspace.org.au/

Kids Helpline

1800 55 1800 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
 www.kidshelpline.com.au/
 “We care and we listen, any time and for any reason”
 Kids Helpline is a free, private and confidential, telephone and online counselling service for young people aged between 5 and 25. The service aims to empower young people by assisting them to:

•  Develop options 
  •  Identify and understand the consequences of a particular course of action 
  •  Facilitate more productive relationships with family and friends, and 
  •  Provide information on local support services. 

It sounds like you have been through a lot lately and I hope you are taking extra good care of yourself as you are doing a great job looking after your daughter.

Lunar

Short answer to your question @Martie  Yes it is. 

You advocated for your daughter and found someone, so that is your caring input.  I hope it works out well for your daughter.

Hi Martie,

How are things travelling at the moment. Were you able to get an appointment sooner?

One recommendation that I have, but you may already know about, is contacting the Crisis Assessment and Treatment Team (CATT). You will have to google your local one. They can be contacted 24/7 and it doesn't necessarily need to be an emergency.

I hope things are looking up.

Take care,

Nik

Hello @Martie xx

how are you going today ??

Hi guys, I appreciate the follow-up very much. 

Things are ok. Good days and not so good. I'm sure everyone here can relate to that.

On a positive, we have found a clinical psychologist and had 2 appointments so far and I feel hopeful that she will be a good fit for my daughter.  Obviously that is a lot better than where we were before. I just really pray this is a long term option for us because I worry she will hit rock bottom if we have to start from scratch again. And the reality is there is a limited pool of adolescent workers out there and what happens if we work our way through all of them?!?

Anyway, thanks again for the willingness to listen. I felt real despair the night I reached out to you guys and it has given me some comfort to know that we are not alone xx

Glad ther is something going ok. @Martie

In talking to a local carers group, it seems that there is a lot of difference in outcome depending on the carer's input.  Many people struggling with times of ill health live viable lives.

Best wishes for the coming year.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance