Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

How do you deal with the psychological effect of mask-wearing?

I have honestly feared the day they mandated masks since the pandemic began. I personally think that people are so enthusiastic about masks, because it is such a visually extreme measure that people think it must be hugely effective. It provides some protection, but maybe not as much as people think.

Well, today, the NSW Government mandated mask-wearing in certain indoor settings, despite only seven cases, four of which came from the same household. It kicks in from midnight tonight, but they won't start enforcing it until Monday.

• Shopping centres.
  • Public transport.
  • Certain indoor entertainment and hospitality venues.

I have worn a mask inside hospital, and it is a little uncomfortable, but not as bad as I thought. However, having to wear a mask every single time you find yourself in one of these situations is a bit upsetting for me, because of my self-image and also the social barrier it puts up.

I am ugly enough as it is, and now the government is making me cover up my face by law. Everyone else is going to be wearing a mask too, so you can't see people's facial expressions. You can't really hear people properly when they talk. It is also going to make it harder for you to be heard as well. 

I feel like if you don't already have someone you love, and friends in your life, you are doomed until the pandemic is over. There is no way you can find someone when they can't see half your face. Interacting with people online is not the same, and MOST people don't have to worry about that. At least I've got a "learning experience". 

I'll be honest, I don't know how often I am going to be subject to this rule anyway. My shopping centre is outdoors, and they have a little indoor area with the Woolworths, so I don't know if that counts as a "shopping centre". I don't even own a mask, so I hope they are at least going to supply them, because they are pretty expensive.

Regardless, it is just a huge kick in the guts, and it makes me feel EVEN more alone. I didn't know that was possible, but here we are.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: How do you deal with the psychological effect of mask-wearing?

@Former-Member  Yes florenceforty it is all a bit mad really as we can only wear the masks for a total of 10 mins at a time. I believe so it is all crazy paranoia but what do I know ....

Re: How do you deal with the psychological effect of mask-wearing?

Hi @Former-Member @greenpea 

I see you are distressed about the mask wearing condition coming in to play in Sydney and believe me when I say that is perfectly understandable. I'm in Melbourne where this has been a rule for many months but unlike NSW, our Premier and health department released a list of people who have exemptions not to wear a mask. One of those is for mental health reasons but you have to have a letter from a medical person to state your exemption. For me, I have panic attacks and struggle to breathe so I am exempt and have a letter to show this. However, there have been some people who refuse to wear masks for political and personal freedom reasons that aren't approved and therefore, they have been fined accordingly. I don't know if there are any exemptions that are going to be offered in NSW so all I can suggest is you watch the media and listen to what gets said.

As for masks being expensive, I know that we are paying something like $5 for 20 masks at the current time but they were expensive when the compulsory rule was introduced back in August. All I can say is just pay attention to the media and watch whatever happens.

I'm really sorry once again for your distress but let me assure you, you are not alone in these feelings. I've been there and I know of several others who have, especially those here on the forums like @greenpea has said. I'm very proud of you for reaching out so well done. Stay strong. You've got this!

Take care and stay safe.

Judi9877☺️👍

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance