Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Amum
Casual Contributor

How can I arrange an urgent transfer from a public hospital mental health ward?

Hi 

My son 22years old, has been battling with adult diagnosed ADHD (recently diagnosed by a psychologist, although my son has been seeing a psychiatrist for over 12 months now) and has all the associated self esteem, drug abuse, mood swings etc common to undiagnosed ADHD as well as the effects of long term drug abuse (mostly marijuana). While using drugs, my son did have a few short episodes of psychotic behaviour, usually only lasting a few hours and consisting of mainly anger alternating with extreme sadness. He stopped using all drugs 4 months ago and was then diagnosed after completing the two ADHD diagnostic tests 4 weeks ago.  He started with a drug for adult ADHD and soon had his old energy back and after not leaving tthe house for about 6 months, he started catching up with friends again and going out. Unfortunately at this time he also began seeming a little 'off', energised, not really manic, just not typical behaviour for him. He definitely used drugs again and last Wed night started having in depth discussions with us about a range of conspiracies around him and become a little threatening. We tried to get him to admit himself to a hospital but of course he did not think there was anything wrong. The second time I called for an ambulance to try to convince him to go for treatment, the operator heard him shouting and swearing and called for the police to attend. When the ambulance arrived, he again indicated he was fine and would not go with them, so the ambulance officer imposed an ITO. He was taken to the public hospital mental assessment unit and after waiting for 5 hours was admitted by the attending psychiatrist. He then spent from Thursday morning till Monday afternoon in the secure locked section of the mental health ward, as there were no consultants available to discuss his treatment due to the long weekend. He has since been allowed into the general ward recreation area but still needs to sleep in the secure section. He has been back to his usual self since Saturday afternoon.

My plea for assistance or advice is: how do we get the ITO removed, if his consultant is only due in again on Friday, and who has to date not even spoken to my son, never mind discussed any sort of treatment plan.

:If I can't get the ITO removed so he can be discharged, how can I get him transferred to a private clinic, which I have been requesting since Friday. My son's psychiatrist does not have admitting rights at any hospital, and I can't find a psychiatrist at a private clinic willing to immediately take my son as a patient so we can have him transferred. 

Any advice?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: How can I arrange an urgent transfer from a public hospital mental health ward?

Hello @Amum,

That all sounds like a lot to have going on, I would be seeking some legal advice regarding his rights with the ITO, if you feel as though he is not sick enough or being treated unnecessarily. You could try by contacting:

Legal Aid

http://www.australia.gov.au/content/legal-aid

As well as searching for a psychiatrist who can treat him asap, by using the Royal Australian & New Zealand College of Psychiatrists website:

RANZCP

https://www.ranzcp.org/Home.aspx

Please keep getting as much information as you can and getting some support for yourself through friends and family during this stressful time,

Lunar

Re: How can I arrange an urgent transfer from a public hospital mental health ward?

Mental Heath Review Board or Tribunal may be the place to go. We attended a hearing and the process was helpful at the time (a few years ago now) even though the result was the treatment order remained in place. 

Thank you for your prompt response and advice. Much appreciated

Hi @Amum

Keep us updated on how things go - I know many carers who have similar questions.

Take care,

Nik

Hi @Amum

How are you today ? 

I just want yo write that I read your story and my heart is with you but my brain is'nt......

I will write to you tomorrow asking how your going and anything that I can contribute.........

Thinkng about you,

Here is a [icture of my dog, Arlo. He helps me get through every day ......

PeppiPatty 10275352_871495699596177_4290571684851045305_o.jpg

Hi @Amum

How are you today ? 

I just want yo write that I read your story and my heart is with you but my brain is'nt......

I will write to you tomorrow asking how your going and anything that I can contribute.........

Thinkng about you,

Here is a picture of my dog, Arlo. He helps me get through every day ......

PeppiPatty 10275352_871495699596177_4290571684851045305_o.jpg

Hello @Amum, @patientpatient

how are things going today @Amum xx

Thank you, he is beautiful!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance