Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: 21 year old son with mental health problems

Sorry to hear it's rough again @Janie ....

Wishing you strength and perseverance ....

Hugs ❤️

It's tough at times. Look after yourself Janie.

Hi

Long time, no see. Thought I'd give you an update on my son's progress....basically a few steps forward and a few back...no real light at the end of the tunnel yet. He has a casual job and has started paying board. He agreed to have his father go co-signatory to his bank account so that he can't blow it every week. He has his spending money deposited into an account that only he can access and then he has savings put in another account and any withdrawals have to be co-authorised by his father so that's good but money does go missing from my wallet from time to time which is not good.

He has not been seeking any counselling but has one friend that he hangs around with a bit - they go in pool competitions and watch football. Still drinking and smoking dope every day I believe. We talk a bit every now and then but I don't hassle him about his behaviour. We were watching a show about the effects of alcohol and drugs and he told me that he did a day without either. I said that he was on the right track and encouraged him to do more.

I've been reading anything I can get my hands on about young adults displaying his sort of behaviour and have been following the advice to try to keep my conversations with him as positive and realistic as I can. He doesn't like talking about his 'problems'.  I do really wonder if it's avoidant disorder, narcissism, some type of ADD or just immaturity big time. 

His older brother and girlfriend stayed with us for 3 weeks recently on a visit from Canada where they now live. My son's girlfriend said to me one day that I should send him to Cambodia to work in an orphanage for six months to open his eyes to how good his life is. She hadn't met him before and saw his behaviour as ungrateful, lazy and immature. She is a good person and I'm glad she felt comfortable with me to make a comment like that. We had a bit of a discussion about him and she was very understanding and good to be able to chat to someone who was interested. I'm very careful about talking about my son to anyone I know as his problems are not what they want to talk about, however, I did get some great advice from one friend who has a young adult with depression.

I've read over the posts from the beginning and the comments about our kids growing out of this behaviour and it is something that I do believe and hope will happen. I do really focus on a positive outcome for him and see him being happy and independent in my mind. I hope that this does come to pass for him, me and all of us. 

Take care and bless you all, it's a hard road to hoe that's for sure.

Janie

Can’t get a husband diagnosed or to treatment either, when they don’t understand they are unwell ...... grrrrr 🤨

You have the right to look after yourself too @Russellcarnes11 .... and it is important that you find support in your situation. Carer burnout is a real thing. Keep seeking help until you find it.

Yes .... there is so much that is understood here without having to spell it all out ... both fortunately and unfortunately ......

@Two @michvoila @Russellcarnes11

Hello everyone,

I read a story from russellcarnes but can't find the same post on this discussion - probably my computer skills or lack thereof. Russell sounded desperate which is how I felt when I posted on this forum. Yes, I would have liked the men in white coats to come and take my son away too and sort him out but the truth is there is no easy answer. It was many months ago when I first sat down and read through these stories and posted my own out of desperation but for a while the only thing that changed was me and my response to my son. I made myself stop saying anything negative to him and to give words of encouragement whenever there was a good reason - usually such occasions would go unremarked but the books said to speak up with words of encouragement so I did. Small changes are all that have happened in my son but also only small setbacks lately - a general move in the right direction...but very slow.

He is working five days a week in a supermarket, not full days but he has a reason to get out of bed everyday and he is proving to be reliable. My son has been given some responsibility while the boss is away and I said that he should feel flattered about that. My son's reaction is that there was no one else so it's no big deal. I told him that if he was unreliable or incapable the boss would have found someone else and that he is doing well. The dope, the alcohol and the gambling are still ongoing. I bring the subject up every now and then and last night I asked for an update on all three. He told me that when he runs out of dope, he doesn't feel anxious and that he needs to go straight out and buy more. He can wait now and so I said that I was pleased to hear that and perhaps he could try putting more distance between the time he's out of dope and buying it again because longterm use of dope is such a concern for me and should be for him. No comment came back. On alcohol, he said that does not drink to get drunk and enjoys a few drinks. When I asked what a few meant, he said two or three (not sure if he can count cos it's more than that I believe). I asked him if he'd consider doing an alcohol free day and see how he feels after it. No comment came back. On gambling, he said that he's sick of the pokies and only gambles online and sticks to a budget. I said I was really pleased that he was stemming the flow of his hard earned money to the gambling industry because they don't deserve it. I've never had to work so hard but one thing I did learn only fairly recently is that my husband's grandmother was diagnosed with depression back in the early 1940's so it helps me to know that genetically there could be a link to explain his behaviour somewhat. He certainly ticks a lot of boxes for ADD. I don't want to bludgeon him with my beliefs on what is right or wrong behaviour if he is mentally compromised in some way but neither do I want to give him any excuses to not keep trying to break free of his dark shadow that stalks him around the place.

I would also have to credit the return home of his older brother over the past 4 months as a big influence on the more mature behaviour my 21yo (now 22yo) son  has been displaying. A bit more help around the house, a $50 note handed to be to make up for some of the money that's gone missing from my room, a general pick up in his demeanour.

Let's hope it keeps on going in the right direction but he has a long way to go.

Russell, if it's any help, I tell myself that things happen for a reason and for some reason I have a son who needs a lot more care than I ever imagined he should. He frustrates the living daylights out of me but I do feel that he may have some mental health issues that will take time to manage. I could spend a fortune on psychologists or psychiatrists but ultimately he knows what he needs to do, he is just not prepared to do it in a hurry.  I hope that your son can realise that he needs to make some changes and finds a way to do that and that you can find the strength to support him. I feel depleted on many occasions and find it hard to find pleasure in things that I used to enjoy. As soon as I go down that road, I stop thinking about my son and start to think about my other two sons and my life generally which has been well and truly blessed.  Don't let your boy rob you of your pleasure in life. Build some sort of barrier by doing things like taking a long walk or looking at some photos of your boy when he was gorgeous and loveable. Find that little boy in your 21yo frankenstein...lol 

Best wishes to all of you with your sons and husbands too.

Janie

Thanks @Janie ..... there is a lot of value in what you have written here ..... no matter who in the family is struggling with lived experience, and who is the carer ...... we end up in this boat together .... and together with others on the forums.

Russell, if you are still reading along, please re-post .... (think you might have needed to change your user-name) and please feel free to ask for tech help if you need it..... we all learn as we go along here - written by a tech dinosaur ..... 😏

Just want you to know you are not alone! My son is 40 and we’ve been going through even worse for over 20 years

Hi @Victorbre and welcome to the forums.  I am sorry to hear you have had such a tough time of it, and for so long.

Hi @Victorbre

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I hope that you will find the forums to be a supportive place for exploring your ideas and any issues around Mental Health. Just a tip, if you are replying to someone or wanting to notify or touch base with someone, place an @ before their username, as in @Victorbre

All the best

Joe The Lion

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance