Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

CheerBear
Community Elder

Adventures on Turtle Island

Edit:

Welcome to Turtle Island!

What began as a discussion about personality types based on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, quickly found a few of us marooned on an Island in the shape of a turtle (see below), in the South Pacific. We are currently having all kinds of adventures using our MBTI types to work out what might happen. If you're looking for some light-hearted fun, everyone is welcome to come along to stay or just visit. (You can get an idea of your MBTI here if you're interested.) Recently we found a (non-existent) suggestion box on the Island, we think it's come from an elusive island neighbour, so you're welcome to just fly (or swim) past and drop us some suggestions too. 

Niqueeta wrote a fabulous prelude to Turtle Island here:

Turtle Island : The Night Before

Spookytookims has written some awesome episodes which can be found here:

The First Morning

Turtle Island episode 2

Turtle Island episode 3 (this one even has pictures!)

Turtle Island episode 4: Shipwreck Salvage

Turtle Island: The Lurgi Strikes (part 1)

Turtle Island: The Lurgi Strikes (part 2)

We now have a welcome sign which is also our Island flag:

Screenshot_2017-04-24-00-06-14-1.png

And here we are in a message in a bottle on the sand as drawn by Lil-Caterpillar!

original.jpg

Here are some views of our Island - isn't it spectacular?!

true (1).jpg

true.jpg

Looking forward to bumping in to you!

This is how it all began....

Personality and what makes us us is something I find really interesting and I think there would be a few of us out there who share that interest. 

@Spookytookims and I were having a chat about MBTI and the differences in our 'types'. I've found myself pondering what factors in our personalities might influence our interactions and the way a deeper understanding of people may improve communication. I like thinking about what makes two or more people 'click' or not. 

While it's difficult to imagine the world being split into a small number of personality 'types', I am interested in what different personality tests offer us in terms of gaining insight or understanding. 

Maybe an interesting discussion if anyone wants to join 🙂

797 REPLIES 797

Re: All things personality

@Spookytookims -  returning to where we left off, as an INFP it's all about my values, the 'meaning' or purpose in life, how I 'feel' rather than what's 'right or wrong'. Perfectionism is a big thing for me and attempts to make the world a better place. Logic and facts not so fab for me. It's the "idealist" and "mediator" type.  

Are you able to post that pic of yours here so I can see please? Let me know if you listen to the podcast too. I've had lots of 'ah-hah' moments listening 🙂

@CheerBear   I'm an INTP.  IT's an isolating type because people get intimidated by our thinking and need to understand.  It's ironic really, because inside we aren't itimidating at all, we just want to figure things out and make things better for everyone.

Here's a small insight into who I am:

INTPs value knowledge above all else. Their minds are constantly working to generate new theories, or to prove or disprove existing theories. They approach problems and theories with enthusiasm and skepticism, ignoring existing rules and opinions and defining their own approach to the resolution.

They seek patterns and logical explanations for anything that interests them. They're usually extremely bright, and able to be objectively critical in their analysis. They love new ideas, and become very excited over abstractions and theories. They love to discuss these concepts with others. They may seem "dreamy" and distant to others, because they spend a lot of time inside their minds musing over theories. They hate to work on routine things - they would much prefer to build complex theoretical solutions, and leave the implementation of the system to others. They are intensely interested in theory, and will put forth tremendous amounts of time and energy into finding a solution to a problem with has piqued their interest.

INTPs do not like to lead or control people. They're very tolerant and flexible in most situations, unless one of their firmly held beliefs has been violated or challenged, in which case they may take a very rigid stance. The INTP is likely to be very shy when it comes to meeting new people. On the other hand, the INTP is very self-confident and gregarious around people they know well, or when discussing theories which they fully understand.

For any other INTPs - read up on your Typing here :   http://www.personalitypage.com/INTP.html

i'll listen to the podcasts yes definitely @CheerBear.  I need to be on my airbook though rather than my ipad so will in a bit.

I want to  listen to yours (INFP)  but first, did you listen to it?  Cos I don't want to listen to it without you saying which parts you think fit you and which parts don't. Or does it pretty much all fit?

@Former-Member  would you like to post some things you think relate to you about your INFJ profile?  I'd be very interested if you would like to share some of the traits you think match your own.   😄

Former-Member
Not applicable

sure @Spookytookims ill just get it back up 🙂

Former-Member
Not applicable

distiguished by both their complexity of character and the unusual range of depth of their talents
the rare combination of vision and practicality often results in INFJS taking a disproproportionate amount of responsibility in the various causes in which they are drawn too
deeply concerned about their relations with individuals asn well as the state. of humanity
often mistaken for extroverts as they appear outgoing and are genuinely interested in people. INFJS are true introverts who can only be emotionally intimate and fullifilled with a chosen few. While instinctively the personla and organisationa demands continually made up by others, at intervals will suddenly withdraw into themselves, shutting out even their 'soul mates' . The most uncanny gift is the empathetic abiltty which seems to be heightened in this personality.

Self expression comes more easily on paper and they tend to have strong writing skills. Often possess a strong personal charisma. Best suited to professions such as teaching, psychology and counselling. Some INJFS find themselve gravitate towards the liberal arts rather than the sciences while others understand abstract therory and implement creativity (thi is what I do ).
beneath the quieter exterior, they hold deep convictions about the weightier matters of life. They gravitate towards the role for the casue not for personla glory.
We are champions of the oppressed and downtrodden. Often found in the wake of a crisis or emoergency ot resucing those in acute distress.
Best suited to teaching, counselling, serive oriented workers more so medical services amd social work.
We work in relation to “is it good for people”. The nore beneficial t others the more interst we show
we have a high level of tolerance for learning related stress but prefer to evenly distribute their efforts to avoid last minute ccramming
to help others whever possible and even when it seems impossible is what fills our lives with meaning and serves for motivation (so very true for me, no matter how much I cant cope I always want to help people)
our communcation comes across as thoughtful, supportive, caring, pleasant, easy, attentive and empathetic to others peoples feelings yet sometimes comes across as reserved.

alright @CheerBear@Spookytookims what do you guys think?

i had to simplyfy it out of 6 pages to get it this small but pulled out the parts that are most relevant

@Spookytookims- I can see a lot in what you posted from what I know of you.

On the INTP podcast I have just listened to most of, something they discussed early on was that as an introverted thinker there is a need for things to make sense analytically, logically and accurately and that this works best for introverted thinkers when it is free from the need to understand other people's emotional responses to their need for things to make sense. That then can lead to a challenge for INTPs to explain their thoughts without feeling like they are coming across as cold, insulting or analytical. A challenge it seems, is to connect with others in a meaningful way where things make sense and everyone is understood. What are your thoughts about this?

I can so understand why it might be isolating and how INTPs may seem intimidating, but actually aren't.

Re the INFP podcast, I listened a while ago to it and don't remember what it spoke of but do remember thinking yes, yes and a little more yes. I really relate to most INFP things for sure. .

OK @CheerBear thanks.. I'll give yours a listen to first and think.. yes... yes  and  more yes  😛  Then I'll listen to mine and let you know if I think it was me if you like.   Give me about half an hour and I'll be able to grab my airbook.  Hope the visit out for milk went smoothly. 

@Former-Memberyes, that sounds like you. A lot of social and caring aspect is you.  Don't you think?

Something I am instantly drawn to about your profile @Former-Member is the idea of taking on that responsibility and your deep concern for your relationships with others. I wonder if that might help explain why you find yourself looking after your sisters so well, because you care so much about them. And why tension in your relationships (with your mum and your friends etc) feel so hard? What do you think about being typed as INFJ? Complex, sensitive, passionate, loyal - they all sound like special, amazing (and sometimes tricky) traits little bug

They're long podcasts @Spookytookims which is partially why I loved them. They make my brain turn into a banana if I listen for too long though. You've been warned haha 😉

Great to get to know you a little better though. Thank you for sharing who you are with me (us)
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance