Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Social Spaces

Re: πŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆ IDAHOBIT: Week long discussion πŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆ

@Daisydreamer wrote:

For those who are an ally, what do you think it means to be a good ally?

I think what @petrichor  said about awareness is good. For instance, educating yourself; and things like sharing things about LGBTQIA+ on Facebook might educate your friends and aquaintances. Also what @Former-Member  said about being a safe and accepting person for LGBTQIA+ people is important, as well as standing up when you see abuse - very important. 

I'd be interested to hear more. 

For those who are part of the LGBTQIA+ community, how do you think someone could be a good ally?

For those who are an ally, what do you think it means to be a good ally?

I really love this question. Allyship is so important as the more people who advocate within the broader community, the more oppurtunities there are for change - and that's how real progress happens. 

For me, a big thing is to show curiosity. However, I think it's really important for allys not to expect a LGBTIQA+ person to educate them on everything. There are plenty of resources out there and what makes me feel really supported is when someone comes to me, with curiosity around something they have found/researched/learnt themselves. It helps me feel accepted and cared for and like I am worth the time it takes to go and explore things themselves. 

There are some really great points here around allyship πŸ’œ 

I found his infographic that has some good suggestions too: 

how to be an lgbtqia ally infographic

The one that stood out for me is around being visible and supporting the community- this includes calling out instances of discrimination or stigmatising language when we hear it. 

Today's question: 

How can we use LGBTQIA+ inclusive language?

@Peonies @HappyCastle @NatureLover @Shaz51 @petrichor @wellwellwellnez @The-red-centaur @Former-Member @Appleblossom @Former-Member 

I came across this resource sharing how we can all use LGBTQIA+ inclusive language that I would like to share with everyone Heart 
A few key things in this resource that stood out for me were: 

• Don't make assumptions about someone's gender, sexuality, or relationship
  • Use words and phrases such as 'parent' and 'partner' 
  • Asking people what pronoun they use instead of asking what pronoun they prefer 

Hi @Shaz51 

I did think of the comparison but didn't want to use it as we are not ill πŸ™‚

Hi @Daisydreamer 

educate educate educate and speak up. I personally feel more comfortable sending feedbacks on forms, facilities etc as it gives me some distance. Occasionally I will stand up for other people, as I'm not out myself it depends on the situation. 

Hi @Shaz51 

no need to apologise xox

@Peonies wrote:

I came across this resource sharing how we can all use LGBTQIA+ inclusive language that I would like to share with everyone

This was interesting, thank you, @Peonies . 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance