Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

OxymOrOn
New Contributor

everyday is a different colour

5 years ago, if you told me I was sick I would not have believed you. I would of made every excuse under the sun for my topsy-turvy lifestyle. I would have runaway

I’d learnt to live with my risky behavior, money spending, highs, lows, crying myself to sleep every night. Panic attacks were an everyday occurrence. Then finally someone actually cared enough to get me some help.

I had never heard of lith-i-um, bipolar disorder or manic depression. As far as I was concerned, my family and friends just did not understand me. They wanted to hold me back from achieving my dreams.

The day after I was hospitalized (the first time), they told me I had an illness and if I wanted to I could control it. They put my illness into a sporting context and told me I needed to focus on my goals and "fight".

The fabulous care I received from mental health services – both in the hospital and community care settings – helped me in my recovery journey. I was also lucky to have a community mental health nurse who believed in me and never doubted that I would recover. Friends were also instrumental in keeping me going through some of the darkest days.

On my road to recovery, I often felt as if I was fighting two opponents; bipolar and stigma. The stigma, at times, hurt more than the depression, anxiety and mania. It follows you everywhere you go. People’s opinion and behavior changes towards you.                                                   

I believe it is important to be open about mental illness. I really hope that through education, and through people with experience of mental illness being more open, discrimination will become less common.

My advice to others who want to support someone in their lives who is experiencing mental illness is that they should listen to, and most importantly not give up on, the person they care about.

When I wake up in the morning the internal bell sounds and I’m ready to start the day’s fight with the illness I will NEVER be cured of but have learned ways of coping with and fighting. To me, its no longer "mental illness" its "mental skillness"!   

I am a human being just like everyone else.  I am a sister, a daughter, a niece, a friend, a creative ninja, an animal enthusiast and a teacher/ student of life. I am a kind, loving person AND I have Bipolar disorder.you look beautiful today.jpg

3 REPLIES 3

Re: everyday is a different colour

Hi @OxymOrOn,

Great to see such a creative posting. Just saying hi from another with the bipolar diagnosis. Well-come.

Hello and big warm welcome @OxymOrOn Smiley Happy

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. It's full of hope, and is an inspiration for many of us who struggle with MI. Your colourful post brightened my day.

You raise some great points about the importance of support from family, friends, and MH services. I love you understand that you have 'mental skillness' rather than 'mental illness' - it's a poignant reminder that having MI is a strength and skill rather than weakness.

For friends and family out there, may I ask how your friends raised the issue of seeking support? You mentioned that 'finally someone actually cared enough to get you some help'. Can I ask how they did this?

It's great to have another fellow animal enthusiast here. There's a few of us! @kenny66 volunteers at an animal shelter, @Crazy_Bug_Lady and @Jacques also work with cattle. 

I hope to 'see' more of you on the Forums. Just to let you know on Friday nights we have the Friday Feast, it's when we hang out, share a (virtual) meal and mingle with each other. It'd be great if you could make it, it's a great way to get to know a few of the other members on here. All you need to bring is a virtual plate of food and discussion. Smiley Very Happy

CB

I love oxymorons .. they make life seem normal to me ..

Your vibrance and wordplay are great @OxymOrOn ... mental skillness .. tee hee hee

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance