Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Very depressed

That's terrible to hear.  Hope is a powerful thing and it is so natural to think of the future but relying on hope means that thoughts are on the future instead of the present.

Maybe ask yourself if every day is the same or are there better and worse days. Some days it's just enough to make it through the day and that's ok.

Maybe think of something that you like to do and reward yourself.  If energy is low then maybe even turning on the TV and watching something informative.  I find channel sbs often has shows where you learn interesting things. 

Exercise is also an interesting one. Sometimes the thought of it, and even during it, is unpleasant but afterwards it often helps to feel better.

Thinking of you 🙂 

Hi @Mn12 

Sorry to hear you are struggling so much that you're losing hope. I think it's good you can identify a purpose and finding the strength to stay for your daughter. 

I have constant thoughts of ending my life. I have come to accept that they will come and go. When I notice those thoughts and feelings I remind myself that the feeling is temporary. Sometimes instead of fighting them, it is easier to acknowledge them and sit with them until they pass. I also make sure I distract myself with absolutely ANY activity until the crisis urge lessens.

I encourage you to see a therapist or speak to your GP if you don't have professional supports in place already. I also encourage using crisis phone numbers if you feel you may not be able to stop yourself from acting on your emotions. 

@superted @Martian  Welcome to the forums. It’s good to see you supporting others already. Please ask for support for yourself if needed.

Bow
Senior Contributor

Hi @Mn12  sorry things are difficult for you at the moment. I can relate though and also have a daughter who keeps me going on really difficult days.

how old is your daughter? 

Re: very depressed.
I have just joined this group today, and jutst to know that there are other people that feel as bad as me, that will understand. I understand absolutely how awful the feelings. I don't remember a time in my life when I was not suicidal. I have never been loved or nurtured in my life. The only reason I am still here is I have a gorgeous cat who is so spoilt and only I can look after her is the fashion she has become accustomed to. Whhen I cant sleep. Shy lays beside me with her little paw in my hand purring softly. She loves me unconditionaly. We all just need to be Kind to each other. Please hang in there. I am 71 years old, a long time to live wit it but today I know I will be a little bit better day by day, so will you take care

Dear @Mn12 ,

i so recognise what you are saying.  My depression and anxiety has a hold over me at the moment.  If it weren’t for my son, an adult, who lives with me and his little daughter I would feel totally lost.  But hope is not dead, just sometimes harder to see.  You will get support here and people who understand. When you feel up to it just check in here and people will respond

peri

Dear @JosieBeas 

Your post really touched me.  I have had an overall, good life, I have been loved and nurtured. But have struggled with depression and anxiety since my early twenties. I am now 69., so it has been a long time.  My sons and grandchildren give me strength and hope.  One of my sons lives with me.

My two little dogs give me the unconditional love you get from your cat, even though sometimes I am not very patient with them

keep posting. If you start your own thread you will get responses 

peri

@JosieBeas  Big hugs. I hope you feel supported here. A warm welcome. ❣️❣️

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Mn12  I have a married son and daughter who have given me 5 beautiful grandchildren, the hugs I get when I see them makes life worth living for me.

my grandchildren give me hope.  Stay strong and be kind to yourself. 🌻

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance