Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Touching the darkness

Good question @Former-Member
I think that answer is different for everyone. Maybe other members would like to share their strategies?

People who work on helplines (hopefully) want to do what works for you - so, it can be really helpful to tell them what is and isn't working. You seem to know what you want (ie: someone to tell you it's going to be okay and work with you to help you feel like you're in the present) and I would encourage you to be up front with them and tell them that's what you want.

And the same goes when something isn't helpful. If they are asking questions that are overwhelming, let them know.

They are there to help you and are often open to being guided on how to do that in a way that would be helpful for you.

Another suggestion would be to use their chat service.
Both Suicide call back service and Lifeline have 'crisis chat' or 'crisis counselling' Sometimes having the space and time to read something and consider responses can help with overwhelm.
Suicide call back chat: https://www.suicidecallbackservice.org.au/online-counselling

Lifeline chat: https://www.lifeline.org.au/get-help/online-services/crisis-chat

Hope this helps
Former-Member
Not applicable

@NikNik

I tried to say what I need. The questions just upset me even more so I put the phone down.

Hi @Former-Member
Would chatting to them via the crisis 'chat' option (linked in my post above) they have be any easier?
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @NikNik

I've since talked via the chat, when I was in a better state of mind. Suicidecallback usually has an unbearable wait time for online chatting and I only talked to them twice in the last year or so. I don't know if I just had a weird person at lifeline when I called there once ages ago, but I don't call them since. Depending on what upsets me I also struggle whether it's a male or female counsellor.

I feel I should be able to help myself by now and I just cannot and I am embarrassed to call now and when I needed help the other day I was too worried if I called anyone they would send an ambulance. Since I've read somewhere that they actually send the CAT team or an ambulance or the police I've become very guarded. I understand that they have to make sure we stay safe but I disagree to be traumatised by emergency services or a stint in the public hospital mental unit. I feel much more alone since finding out about that part.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance