Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Split: New movie stigmatising Dissociative Identity Disorder #ENDTHESTIGMA

i haven't read all the posts here but this movie just makes us sad... and tired... and tired of being sad. why do we even hope/expect that people will portay us in an evidence-based, accurate way? look at who they chose to be the leader of the free world! they're f*ckwits.

Feeling for you @-Rayne- .....

Hopefully if there is a big enough outcry over this movie, and enough community outrage over its negative portrayal, someone in Hollywood will have the bright idea of engaging the DID community, doing their research, and producing a compassionate, positive, educational and hope-filled movie that assigns this one to the reject bin.

I'm of two minds over this movie.

At least its a dialogue involving dissociative identity disorder. The only way to beat a mental illness is with curiousity and humour... maybe we have to wait till pop culture is ready.

Maybe just maybe its a step in the right direction.

I dunno.

Hi @Gilgamesh 

I can understand where you are coming from. On the one hand the movie talks about DID and starts giving the awareness. But on the other hand, the portrayal was not accurate and appeared to one of negativity.

Unfortunately we live in a society where sometimes people take on face value what they see, what Hollywood states. I have spoken to a few friends who have watched the movie and have mentioned to them about this forum to assist them to gain a better understanding/awareness. Even stated maybe Hollywood could put before the movie a statement saying "this movie is not a true portrayal of the condition and to gain a better understanding, please visit {insert website address}". 

@Anony18 Yes common perception can't get past the fear of the unknown which is mental illness. A person mentally ill is fair more likely to be a victim rather than an offender.

We have a lower percentage of violence than the normals of this world... can't remember the exact statistic...

What interests me about the shorts I've seen for the movie is this last personality to appear is said to be the next evolution of mankind. That idea is interesting.

For a movie that does justice to the mentally ill yet still works from a shadowy realm I enjoyed Halloween II directed by Rob Zombie. It gives a very clear and accurate depiction of hallucinations as experienced by Laurie Strod. Those scenes triggered the hell out of me. And her interactions with her psychiatrist is just so...

The hallucinations out of Hannibal are a good example too... but they never feel that real in my experience.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance