Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Split: New movie stigmatising Dissociative Identity Disorder #ENDTHESTIGMA

@pip Sorry I'm actually pretty gullibal due to my psychosis. I have no idea what you are talking about. Part of me understands that a post has been flagged. But yeah I don't really understand what its about. Sorry.

@Gilgamesh. My mistake, I apologize. I thought you may have been following an earlier post where I had problems on another forum. I had been involved with the Beyond Blue forums and a man who was classed as leadership quality started a relationship which was totally against the rules of the forum. I am determined to bring this man to justice.

get real, the general population dont care as from their angle no stigma........

Split is a backwards step to the view of mentally ill people as dangerous and needing to be locked up in asylums. The whole concept is disgusting and exploitative. I can't believe that such a movie can be made in the 21st century. It will do untold harm to the image of mental illness in the community and destroy all the positive work done by people in the past decades to de-stigmatize mental illness and help us understand it for what it is. This is a film I am definitely not going to see, and I will encourage my children to boycott it as well.

Ellu

Dear @NikNik

I will not be watching the movie and I have in general problems to accept that this world we live in is so focussed on catastrophising. Everything has to be blown out of proportion to get "good viewing rates" whether on the news, TV shows, movies... it seems like everything the general population is interested in are "the bad sides", whether it is mental health related, cultural, religion, sexual preference... and they pick a single incident, a single person and generalise it to the max.

This is why I sometimes ask myself, whether I want to continue living in this world anymore. This is why I stopped watching the news, I am not keen on even nature programs anymore where the focus is on survival of the fittest and the cruelty of the world is shown more than the beauty. I am over sensitive and I am consciously aware of that, but I am disgusted by a world that has seen so much cruelty and pain that DID will just be another either "good movie" or flop.

I grew up with at least physical disability and choice of sexual preference, religion, freedom of speech... being a part of "normal society". Mental health, until I was affected, was for me an experience in a locked ward in the late 90s, which had a major impact on my view of mental health facilities. My stigma towards these facilities and also mental illness has only been really conquered since I have been living with it and had to return to hospital - a place I voluntarily went to and that I had inspected several times. I understand where the stigma comes from. A friend in a wheel chair needs a certain type of help, it is pretty obvious with a friend in a wheelchair. But I am not wearing a tag on my forehead and carry a handbook of "how to help me" and "how to treat me / how to talk to me"...

I just wish that everyone would be more accepting of the differences each one of us carries in themselves. I am sad now, and I haven't even seen the movie. I am just sad now.

❤️💕 ... @Former-Member

@Anony18 .....

@Shimmer has posted some links earlier in the thread which give more background.

💜🌷

Thanks for the tag @Faith-and-Hope - it is really interesting to hear from people who suffer from it and also read the links on DID as well. 

I hope I do not offend anyone by saying I just watched the film right then. I can see how it could trigger someone who lives with it or even suffers from MI alone. Definitely see how Hollywood will make the public view this condition - especially in this society where people are so easily influenced by what they see on the big screen, what they see on the news.

It saddens me that with so much accessibility to information that we cannot read up more about it rather than take things for at face value. More awareness should really be raised about mental health if such films are made. If Hollywood are producing such films - they should have a disclaimer at the beginning of the film and even a link to where they could find out more. Not sure if you all may think is a good idea. I know for me personally if my friends start talking about this film to discuss I will be pointing them to the internet and webpages like this to find out more than creating that stigma. I am hoping that me doing my part to raise awareness of MI will help society going forward. 

Bearing in mind that many people with DID are shy of attention .... the condition developed out of trauma .... it might be better to send them the links @Shimmer has posted on the thread above .... you might have to scroll back a page .... as they have been designed as a support for community awareness in situations like this ....

The best that can come from this film is a greater community understanding of the true nature of DID along with compassion and support for them to live the way they do without stigma.

❤️

@Smc .... there are info links placed by @Shimmer in her post, maybe a page back from here ..... I hope these are helpful to you. SANE have produced them as an educational resource to try to counter the influence of this film .....

❤️
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance