Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

ButterflyGirl
Contributor

Panic Attacks

Hi everyone, I am butterfly girl. I have had panic attacks on and off throughout my whole life. They have always been for a reason though. If there wasn't a toilet near by or if I was in a group interview for a job, or if I was in a crowded place.

Last Wendesnday my taste buds on my tounge swelled up and so did my tounge. I thought I was going to swallow my tounge or suffocate. I thought it was because of these vitamins I had taken that day. I took b1 and b12. The next day I felt jittery again. I called into work and said I couldn't come, and that I would come in the next day instead. I thought since I had been eating vegan for the last month that it may have been contributing to the jittery feelings so I ate meat that night.

The next day I went into work like usual. It was very hot in there. I felt like I was suffocating. I started shaking and I had to run to the toilet. My heart was beating out of my chest. I thought I was going to vomit and feint in front of everyone. I only lasted half an hour before I couldn't take it anymore and I had to leave. I was shaking so much I tried to pick up my bag but I dropped it loudly on the ground.

I drove myself straight to the doctors. I sat in there for about 5 minutes but then I had to leave. I went home and listened to a guided meditation on my phone. I felt euphoric, and my heart would not stop beating. I had a cold shower but my heart would not stop beating. I managed to sleep for half and hour. I tried to go to the doctors again but i coudln't stay there. 

I have never had a panic attack that had lasted for so long. I was also thinking to myself the whole time that I was going to die. That I was never going to snap out of it, and that my boyfriend was going to come home and have to put me in a mental institution.

I called a home doctor that night and they gave me some relaxing medication. I only took half because pills effect me quite badly.

I also stopped taking the b vitamins because I found online that they can cause panic attacks.

It may also be because I have a marina/iud. I plan to have it taken out, encase it is the reason.

Also each day I am meditating, writing what I am greatful for each morning and night. Writing pages and pages in my journal, I am having fresh juice everyday, I am having NO coffee and plenty of camomile tea. I am having plenty of drops of rescue remedy. I am walking my dog everyday. I am staying communicative with my family. I am following the guidance of a coaching course I am taking online, and taking my medication in quaters when I feel too overwhelmed. I am listening to guided meditations, sniffing lavender oil, body brushing, putting lavender oil on my temples, drinking plenty of water and staying away from any stressful news or situations. I am also listening to subliminal messaging for anxiety on my phone.

The most helpful app I found was an app called "panic attacks" which implements strategies (which I have written down and I keep in my bag for when I have to leave the house) as well as a guided relaxation audio. I would highly recommend this app! It helped me understand what my body is going during a panic attack, and that I am NOT going crazy!

Today I managed to go to the doctors with the help of my boyfriend. I am booked in to see a mental health nurse 2moro, which will be another challenge but I believe I can do it! I also went to the shops and to the car wash today, which is a big win! I am hoping I will be able to go back to school, work and family events soon! But then again I am not thinking too much about the future.

Panic attacks have alowed me to stay in the present otherwise I start freaking out again.

I am also letting myself sleep as much as my body wants and needs. Panic attacks can really wear your body out so let it recover.

I hope this helps anyone reading, and thank you for letting me share 

Lots of love, butterfly girl.

29 REPLIES 29

Re: Panic Attacks

Welcome Butterfly Girl..I recall the intensity of panic attacks and am glad that they rarely occur now. I found a peer support group really fast tracked my recovery with panic attacks as I learned from other people what was helpful. I also would like to recommend Bev Aisbett, brilliant visual author on anxiety and panic attacks..my little dragon is now my lifelong pet. Bev has published a new book this year, but the one I have is Living with It.
Also Adavic has a really good Facebook page too. Adavic us anxiety disorders Victoria..
And @butterflygirl..yes the physical comedown after a severe attack..really essential to give your body space to relax quietly...take care..

Thanks for sharing @ButterflyGirl, how scary Smiley Sad I have heard people say before they thought they were dying, the physical responses are so strong. 

It seems like you're taking a holistic approach, and letting your body take the lead.

Have you done any reading on exposure therapy?

Here's to  a speedy recovery Smiley Happy

I feel an app thread coming on, hee, heeSmiley Tongue

@ButterflyGirl, thought you might like to add your app suggestion to our thread, 'Apps to train your brain',

check it out.

http://saneforums.org/t5/What-s-new-services-research-and/Apps-to-train-your-brain-Top-Ten/m-p/10329

Sandy and Butterfly Girl, whom I greet, the very first panic attack I had the misfortune to have, I too thought that I was on deaths door step, it was indescribable, one of the most horrific sensations I have ever had. I did not know what had struck me, pain similar to a heart attack, racing thoughts thumping within my chest, hypo ventiating, perspiring head , feel and palms and a feeling of being cold. It has been about ten years, I think since trhe last one and I certainly do not want another. I feel extremely sorry for anyone that regularly has them

ButterflyGirl. 

You're everywhere and no where, baby,
 thats where you're at,
 Going down a bumpy hillside,
 In your hippy hat.
 Flying out across the country
 And getting fat (?!)
 Saying everything is groovy
 When your tyres are flat

Hi Sandy,

Thanks very much for the reply, support and the advice. I have looked up the pages and books you recommened.

I have been referring to my panic attacks/anxiety as a tiger. Do you refer to it as your little dragon?

Thanks again,

Butterfly Girl

Thank you for the reply,

I have not read anything about exposure therapy, I will do now 🙂

Thanks

Butterfly Girl

Oh and have added some of my apps to the thread! Thanks for that 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance