Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Living with schizophrenia

Thank you Kurra,

I am very pleased that you are on the road to recovery. Yes medication can work, and I think that it is, for many peope, an important part of their recovery in that it can help. But, as you state, and I agree with you, personal effort to recover, which is difficult, is enormously important. I agree with this that you wrote.

Hi Tyler77,

good on you for taking the decision to go off substances. I think that you are on the road to recovery and you are right it is not a destination but a constant journey. The road does not end it keeps ongoing all of our lives. But along the way there are very interesting things to experience and life is always beautiful in some way even when there is lots of suffering and disappointments as is the case for people like us with mental disorders. It is a constant battle but worth it I feel.

Hope that everything goes well for you. And as Silenus would say, sending lots of positive vibes coming your way from all of us here.

Hi @Tyler77

Huge congratulations on the difficult journey with addiction. It's one heck of a ride, with many twists and turns. Wishing you a smooth and speedy trip through the next few weeks.

I admire your healthy perspective on life. It will help you greatly in your ongoing journey.

All the best, and we're here if you need to chat... 🙂

Hi everyone,

I would like to add to my story.

When I was first diagnosed with Schizophrenia I thought it was the end of my world. I had a young baby to take care of.  I cried out in anguish and asked the case worker from the crisis team about how I was going to cope. The case worker said not to worry,' people with schizoprenia cope very well'.

I was doubtful about this because I didn't believe in myself. Having never met a person with this illness and not being able to even spell the word, I didn't know what was ahead of me, I was in the dark. 

My family didn't tell anyone about my illness, some members of the extended family still don't know. I became very good at smiling and acting like I was OK for the sake of my family's pride.

I no longer hide my diagnosis but am careful who I tell. I put a lot of effort into life but sometimes fall down and the symptoms return. I get up and brush myself off because I have no choice. 

Schizophrenia does not define me. The case worker was right, I do cope well enough. It's for life but will not end me.

Hi @april 🙂

Thanks so much for sharing your story. You have an amazing attitude to life. Sending hugs and happy vibes your way...

i still deal with disorganised thinking. I am aware of it, but somehow it does not seem overly prominent to others.

I am sad that @DefiantPanda is gone.  I thought she made a few very relevant and courageous posts that were good for the forum as a whole.  So if you read this.   Hi from me. Panda. YOU will be missed.

Agreed @Appleblossom. I'm sending hugs to @DefiantPanda - I felt your words and life story were a very important part of this forum... 🙂

sorry, did not mean to 'like' that.

@theaveragejoe
Personally, it is my feeling that you might be drowning out the voices of those that the original post intended to amplify.

It's not that I don't appreciated hearing that you are interested in psychosis, or that I don't appreciate you being an ally. I just don't feel your voice is terribly appropriate here on this thread.

I can't speak for DefiantPanda, I speak for myself.

S x

Oh and I take that completely back, I just read a few more comments you have left. It seems this is lived experience for you. I am terribly sorry I denied you that.
Truly sorry.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance