Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Living with schizophrenia

@DefiantPanda wrote:

@NikNik I want you to delete my account and every post I've ever made here. You should provide that option in the settings. This site has changed since all the 'BB' people got here. I don't really like it anymore. I don't understand why they got 'booted' from their own forum anyway. But this forum really sucks now.

Hi @DefiantPanda

I am sorry to hear that you feel this site has changed because of all the BB people. From my perspective, I have tried to feel my way slowly into this site, and keeping only to my own threads and a few others. I apologise if anything I have written has changed the feel of the site for the worse...

It came as a big shock to us all to find that BlueBoard had run its course as a research project into the dynamics and healing potential of online mental health support forums, and that funding was gone and the site would be shutting down...

As a member of over 4 years, it hit me pretty hard. The online community we helped make was a life saver for me and many others, and a place to vent, to ask questions, to learn and to support each other through the good times and the bad...

We were recommended this Sane forum site as one alternative once BB shuts down fully. I have found the people on here to be a wonderful mix of people.

@DefiantPanda - are you able to articulate what it is you don't like, what you feel has changed? Perhaps we can work together to make things better...

My sincerest apologies @DefiantPanda
I'll back out now. Fortunately there are other forums I can join.

I wish you the very best for all your tomorrows and trust you will find peace and happiness.

Adieu SANE forumites. You have an amazing site here and I congratulate you on all you've achieved

Kurra

Hi @DefiantPanda,

I hope that I have not said anything to upset you or offend you. I thought that you were writing very interesting things and I like you a lot.

You probably wonder why it is that I am writing on this schizophrenia discussion. Let me tell you just in case: I have worked as a volunteer in many homeless shelters and I lived in government houses, a big complex, where we had two neighbours with schizophrenia. I also met many people with schizophrenia at the home shelters and various other government initiatives like events such as artworks and so on. I have personally befirended some young people with schizophrenia and helped them or tried to. I was their friend.

Because of this, I am very familiar with schizophrenia and I have numerous friends with the disorder. In addition, my wife sudffers with psychosys and she had serious psychosis in the past, thought today it is not such a problems for her. In addition, I have also experienced psychosys when I was on drugs, many years ago.

Here you are, this is my story. I am very interested to learn about schizophrenia, it is my passion to study and learn about it because it is the most serious mental disorder that we have. It is a hobby of mine and I admire people that suffer with it and try to cope with this disorder.

Naturaly, I have written here asking for the opinion of the people if what I had written was appropriate or not. If anyone feels that what I write is inappropriate or there are any problems I am always willing to make things right and I don't get offended at all anymore now.

I think that it is good to discuss things. IN fact a nice member told me once that he felt something I said was not quite right so I went and changed it. I am not perfect and it is easy to write something that may be misinterpreted.

Thank you, Defiant Panda and I seriously hope that you don't leave, we all care for you particularly Silenus who I ma sure is very fond of you. Silenus knows that if there is something wrong I am willing to work with you guys and change things. Thanks very much and hope that you stay with us.

Big hugs to you and lots of positive vibes coming your way as Silenus would say. We do care for you 🙂

Hi @theaveragejoe @Kurra @Silenus

The member was removed as per request.

Lets get this convo back on track, as there was some really interesting insights being shared, and I don't want to detract from that.

Nik

It is indeed an interesting conversation and I know that it is not easy to talk about sunch intricate issues. I guess that some people may get upset because they are experiencing problems on the outside of the forum or for other reasons such as becaming irritated when there is talk of recovery or anything positive. 

I would like to ask a few  questions, but before I do let me write something:

we have come to believe, today, that the severity of the mental disorder is not what determins if a person is going to recover or not; What determines if a person is going to recover is how they travel inside: towards recovery or struggling with negativity. Of cousrse, recovery does not mean becoming cured. Not at all.

Recovery means to learn to accept one's condition, wheather it is Schizophrenia, or Bipolar, or Chronic Depression, and do everything possible to help oneself with some positivity in their lives.

This does not mean that one has to achieve a state of perfect well being. Relapse is possible, making mistakes is possible, so long as we learn to forgive ourselves for having made mistakes due to our mental disorder. We do need to forgive ourselves and try better next time. We learn as we go.

Having said this I ask the beautiful people here @Silenus @Tyler77 @april and all the others who would like to offer some answers:

Do you feel that you are traveling towards recovery? or are you struggling with mostly negative thoughts and therefore not on the road to recovery yet? 

If you feel that you are not on the recovery road, why do you feel this is so?

Do people that claim to be on the recovery road annoy you? Do you feel resentment towards them? 

I am hoping  that people will aswer a few of these questions. I feel that we are all learning here.

Please know that I am not an expert and do not consider myself an expert, I am just searching and questioning like an eternal student. I respect all people and if I make  anyone feel uncomfortable please tell me, I am willing to make ammends. I am learning as I go, a curious person I am, that is all. 🙂 

Hi @Tyler77,

No I did not major in English I just went to Uni. My English is still problematic but I have a good friend who corrects some things I write which I feel are important and I keep. 

Hi @theaveragejoe
We knew one another on BB. The change in you here is wonderful to see and I'm really enjoying being in touch again.
Take care
Hugzzz

@theaveragejoe

I am on the road to recovery But it's a journey not a destination.

I have good days and bad days just like everyone else.

The thing I need to work on the most right now, is my addiction issues.  I'm weening myself off of a substance and will be entering withdrawl stages in 2-3 days.  I'm really nervous, because I have done it before and I know its gonna be 3-5 days of misery followed by a week or two of mild discomfort.  But its worth it.  Do not be suprised if i drop off the map and dont respond or post anything for a week or so, as I will be incredibly sleepy, mopey and agitated till I get through the worst of it.  I'm working with a physician this time to help me quit so I think my chances are gonna be better that this time I'll be successful.

From a mental health standpoint, I look at people who are recovered as being a inspiration for what I'd like to be someday.  From a addiction standpoint, I look at people who are in recovery and I wish I had it too.  

I'm happy for them, but also a little envious at times.  

But in terms of negative thinking, and being depressed and feeling like I'm no good...  

I have bad days and good days, like most people.  The past gets to me sometimes, but whats in the past I cannot change.  I try to make peace with it and move on...

Hi @theaveragejoe
I'm definitely well on the road to recovery.
Meds have certainly helped but I believe the personal effort I've put in to overcoming my weaker points and taking the time to develop strategies to help me through the tough patches has certainly helped me enormously.

The road to recovery is a very personal path for each and everyone of us and no one travels the same map.

I am delighted for the people who have attained or are well on the way to recovery. I believe most of us are looking for the same 'pot of gold' - ultimate recovery.

I do however remain ever vigilant for those early warning signs of an early switch so I take whatever action is required to stop it getting away from me.

Thank you Kurra,

yes I have changed a lot, for the better. I do remember you well Kurra.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance