Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Life can be a Pain

Hello @Owlunar

That is an incredible time in your life...

I want to reply to you when I have time to think ...

tomorrow am busy again...house inspection...blech....

will definitely respond as soon as I can..Cat HappyHeart

New Post: Re: Life can be a Pain

Good morning @Owlunar

That is some achievement completing an honours degree over a course of 12 years whilst working....

experiencing such a huge loss during that period at the same time...

without wanting to trample on fragile feelings...perhaps there was a subconscious part of you ....a force so strong that pushed you through the years to complete the degree....a memorial of a kind for your son...as well as a reaffirmation for your own inner strength...

The book you chose is extremely interesting....those professors would have been intrigued....I think that you woke them up and had them sitting at attention....

I have not read the book...you have my attention now though as i love satire and innuendo...

I have read some articles about the volumes of Tristram Shandy and how they were written...also his response to Ignatio Sancho re the abolition of slave trade...

How is your trip planning with your travel agent?

Travelling business class if you have long term pain makes sense...Cat HappyHeart

Re: New Post: Re: Life can be a Pain

Hi @Sophia1 

I had not thought of my degree as being a memorial to my son but yes - I started studying because he was dragging me under and starting with a correspondence course and then my HSC was my salvation - 

The wondeful negativity of other people's opinions is worth mentioning - I burned out the first year of my Mature-Aged Student HSC and it was my son and my then-h who caused the burn-out - people were convinced it was my studying - that it was too much - and I needed to give my children more time

ah sheesh - they had my time - I remember telling my mother I was emancipated and I wonder now if she knew that word but really early - in my early thirties - I figured out that emancipation is a frame of mind - I am not the kind of person who needs to sacrifice 100% of myself for the family because my mother did

And through all those years though I guess no one else could understand it was my studies that kept me going - and I might say kept my depression and anxiety from destroying me - 

As well as English Literature I did semesters of philosophy, linguistics, science fiction, satire, classical civilization, general and comparative literature, psychology and more - thinking back all those years now things can be foggy but I have clear memories of some classes and it was great - through all my years of domestic shadows I have the bright light of the university and I am so glad I did it

I love satire too - the year I did Augustan Literature was all about satire - the great political satirists of that time - Alexander Pope, Jonathan Swift, John Dryden - and also the Roman satirist Juvenal as well - I just seemed to "get" this and recall that my grandmother who lived with us and had a large hand in bringing me up was a very satirical person - as I am actually - oh - that was such a great subject to study and humour is hard to explain - satire even harder - I guess if we get it we get it and some types of humour are pathetic beside it - like situation comedies - I wonder what is funny about some of them but then - I am a fan of M*A*S*H and all the innuendo of 

Downton Abbey - I could go on

I organised most of my trip yesterday - it took nearly all morning as I had to change my dates - it was okay with my daughter that I did so - I am flying out early on the Tuesday morning so I am staying at the Hotel at the Airport the night before - it's a few weeks away still - then I have flights straight through from Melboure to Cairns and return with 4 nights at a 4 star hotel - I probably can't say where I am staying

So I have done that much - and tomorrow I am taking my brochure about the flight up to Cape York to sort that out - it is so good having a agent - the whole time I am away I have the personal phone numbers of the agency and they are there for any kind of bother - and they sort it all out

There are discounts available through agencies as well - I just want to go comfort plus all the way - you are right - with my bad back this is essential - the first time I went away I went to Launceston and did it cheap and it was not what I liked at all - going in the shuttle and standing forever in queues and waiting for luggage - now I have it down to a fine art and even ask someone to grab my suitcase off the carosel - people are happy to do things - just ask away - on my way back from Hobart early this year the guy sitting beside me carried my computer bag back for my suitcase and then dragged the suitcase to the taxis for me - I believe in people I think because I generally find them pretty friendly and I guess I would do what I could for other people if I could - what goes around comes around

I need to write captions for clipart - I love originality - what shall I had

There's nothing like reading a good book to give us insightThere's nothing like reading a good book to give us insight

Dec - btw - all the best with selling your property - yes - blech

Hello @Owlunar

You have a wealth of knowledge....more than can be measured....some interesting subjects that you have studied...

I understand how people assume that education burns us out....not our family....

So many subjects of interest that you did....

I would love to sit by a cosy fire in a comfy wing chair and listen to some of your stories....

Have you ever thought of writing a book...covering certain aspects of your education and what you learnt....how you stayed interested....studied for a great length of time...looking at your life purely from the study and your learning side...

Coupled with your travels you might find some rewarding moments in such an adventure...

How is the trip planning?

SophiaCat HappyHeart

Hi @Sophia1

I have thought of writing a semi-auto-biography but there is the issue of my son's biography which naturally falls inside my story and his life and death had a huge effect on my life so I struggle with the idea of  writing it - I have decided to keep my son's story to myself and take it with me when I die - I talk about him a bit here but there are things I just don't want to share

But somewhere in my papers I have a lot of short stories of my own life - some philosophical stories - animal stories - stories about growing up on a police station where my father was THE policeman and everyone knew us and the stories often got back to our father and we got into trouble for stuff that to me seems trivial - but they all make good stories

The lucky people are the people who do my ironing - several people have told me they love coming here because they never know what we will talk about - 

I did a lot of private tutoring when I was at university - this was easy for me and most of my students loved it - I have great moments of my life is ordinary places with extra-ordinary people and some of them were very young

But some of the essays I had to explain - oh sheesh - sum peeple get threw life unabel too spel n hav bad gramma and that's okay but not when they are at University

awww - but it's all part of my life story

Today I went down to the agency to sort out my flight and 4WD up to Cape York - it was already booked out and I would have had to book at week later and I will try that later - not this trip - as I have had a few months with indifferent health it might be better to take it easy at the hotel pool and the beach 

I can work on my bucket list next year - I can do Cape York next year and also maybe stop at Brisbane and see the Glass House Mountains - there was a mysterious story of a plane crash in the Glass House Mountains back in the early C20th that I read in the Readers we used to have when I was at primary school - no one knew where the plane was but a pyschic had an idea and went alone into the bush and found them - I have done some hunting on the internet and can't find anything but one idea I have it to get onto the Museum in Brisbane and maybe they can help - 

I could write forever - I tend to just go on and on - actually this evening I found a short satire I wrote called The Stupid Chicken which is about the Ugly Duckling's mother. One guess whose mother that is.

I love writing captions as wellI love writing captions as well

Dec

Yes @Owlunar

My meaning was to write your story around your education side of your life only....travels....books read...people encountered..

Your son's story is very private and personal for your eyes only...

You would not be disrespecting him...

Only a thought that I had...

So this trip is Cairns only?

Loved the mention of grammar....spelling...During my  working career I was appalled at the writing of some staff...let alone grammar...spelling..punctuation....university graduates...

my father told me the story once where he  drafted a handwritten letter and requested one of the typists to type it up for him.....he worked for the federal government...how he hierarchy was set up at that time....the letter came back fully typed...without a single punctuation mark!..He sought out the typist and asked if there had been a mistake...her reply "I only type...I don't do punctuation!"   He had me in stitches...if you new my father...huge on satire ...manners...etiquette..

You certainly would have met some very interesting people during your life...

I have too....

"The Stupid Chicken" sounds a riot about the ugly duckling's mother...yes I think I worked that out...

I was a black sheep...perhaps I could spend some time writing a story around that...

Cat HappyHeart

Hi @Sophia1

I could - and really have - written a lot of short stories about my life and they include bitznpiecez about my son who was a very literal child and we had to watch saying things like

"The traffic is like Brown's cows. R.....!!! What are you doing? Sit down and put your seat belt on!!!" -

"But I want to see Brown's cows"

Awwwww - we had to be so careful

But academically - yes - my uncle - who is not much older than me - asked me how to write a text message.

"If I want and "A" do I press 1?" -

"No - you press 2" -

"So do I press 3 if I want a "B"?" -

"No - you press 2 again" -

"But - but - ah - I don't think I want anymore text lessons"

My uncle is elderly now but he is a physicist - my cousins and I do our best - one reason I went to Hobart a few months back was to do some work on my computer for them. My life is never dull

Maybe we start to write short stories and string them together - we can encourage each other - I read somewhere that to start writing a novel you start with one page at a time and build up momentum - and we can either write about our academic knowledge or use it as the background for the story -

I think I would like to have a go - start with the short stories again

Atm I have only booked Cairns but there are so many tours out from Cairns into the rain forest and along the coast - even out to the islands - but I might just use the money I am not spending on Cape York to buy a camera - I need one for the art I do - I am not good at drawing but photography - yes - I am

When I was waiting at the agency my attendant was dealing with a man about my age who was going to Germany and he was such a nice man - every so often I will see a man I would like to chat up but I have no idea how - I am not a flirt - darn - but the chances are there I know - maybe I will find a friend in the wilderness somewhere - I am not all that bothered

I am a stickler for grammar and spelling - not always when I am writing here - and my uncle is the same. I have a story about the Moon Landing - surely the words Neil Armstrong said were written in advance - or he thought them up before he walked on the moon - but I get screwed up when I hear bad grammar in one of the most important sentences ever said - and it is constantly repeated

"One small step for man. One giant leap for mankind"

I yell at the mindless and deaf TV - "Giant is a noun an adjective - gigantic! giantic leap for mankind"

Yah - oohh

Write about your place in your family - being the black sheep doesn't just happen. I was the Ugly Duckling sure but my brother was the Little Black Lamb. I think I know why - the Ugly Duckling still is his big sister and did every first and did it well - how discouraging for him - and I was encouraged by the Rooster and the Stupid Chicken's mother

I have had an interesting life - it is slow and quiet now and today I am taking it easy. Winter is still very bleak in Melbourne - we have had a very cold winter this year - last year was much easier but this one - let's just be glad it is nearly over. The headache I had when I woke up after sleeping in has passed off but I think I will have a nap this afternoon  - I will prepare a late lunch of baked chops and vegetables before I do though or I am not likely to feel like eating

It's a pity we can only share short, short stories here - we can lose copyright and now know it if we publish really good stuff here because anyone can read what we write but still - just having someone to compare our progress with can help

Time for another coffee

Cya Sophia 

Dec

Hello @Owlunar

A quick reply...I have just finished having my hot shower after the pool....hair wet...

I don't want to get too cold....

I bought a small black sheep stuffed animal when I was in England last year....just because I could...I look at it and laugh...

I understand totally about gigantic....

short stories ...a good idea...not for here though...

I have noticed some people mimic my phrases..ideas on the forums....perhaps I should take that as a compliment...I have never been good at accepting compliments....

writing about our experiences to a certain degree and/or younger memories should be quite safe...

I have never been one to flirt...in fact when I was younger...if I was attracted to a man...I would do everything in my power not to look at him...in case he noticed how embarrased I was...

I can talk to men easily though...in many cases find them more interesting to talk to than women.....no offence to any females ....Odd really...I did not have a brother...Perhaps something to do with the females in my family as in mum and sister shunned me....I was closest to my dad...who knows...

A camera is a very good investment...especially if it is a hobby and interest for you...let alone if you are good at it...

I have a basic digital camera that my husband bought me for my birthday quite some time ago now....I asked for the most simple...was told that was what I was given....well...I still struggle....

I love looking at photographs though...on the computer is good ...not the same sitting sharing an album on your knee with someone though...

Many people think that the smart phones take photographs of the same quality....I disagree...They can be very good...not the same quality though...

Well off to check my pea and ham soup that I am slow cooking...smells nice...will have with toasted sandwiches for dinner tonight....

Do you like cooking Dec?

SophiaCat HappyHeart

IMG_20171203_091916.png

Hi @Sophia1@Former-Member@outlander@Shaz51@Zoe7@utopia@Faith-and-Hope

I had an interview today - an important one - no - it was not for a job but I had a chance to contribute my ideas and did so and I feel good about it

Yesterday I felt edgy - mostly worried that I would not wake up in time for the interview - not that worried about the interview itself - I can talk easily and have the confidence in my ideas etc - but getting ready to get out of the house early - it was okay - but I had to get out of bed earlier than I needed to because I wanted to go back to sleep

So the interview was great

After that I walked home and it was a good walk - but it did have a bit of a backlask on me - I am not sure why - I was there to give my opinion and I did - and I recollect when I did market research in the past and wanted other people's opinions - when opinions are wanted we are lucky to have the chance

I guess spending time on my own has become my way of life and I am okay with it and now I am writing about my emotional reaction - which is no big deal - I am wondering what that was about

Just doing something different - I think

But I did it - and I am glad to share that

Dec

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance