Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Life can be a Pain

@Sophia1 i didnt think you were ignoring me.... not at all. im just flicking between threads and catching up with the convos. i hope you didnt think i was ignoring you either. Heart

Hi @outlander@Sophia1@Former-Member

I love taking off and the window seat and the serviceI love taking off and the window seat and the service

I spoke to my daughter this evening and she is okay to look after my cat for a few days - I didn't ask if she could mind her for longer as my grand-daughter is not well - same bother with her ovaries as my daughter did and I had - oh bother - I can stand inheriting weird things from my oldies but hate it that I have passed down problems to my most precious people

I have nearly finished the second of the two Danielle Steel books I bought less than two weeks ago - I read so fast - I have another new one and I think I had better get some from the Book Repository - three hours in a plane and I will be tired of staring out of the window

I know a lot of people read books on Kindle now but I prefer to hold a book in my hands - and I love reading

I love the pun on annus horribilis Lapses - the Queen had one of those and if she can so can I - none of us are free from one of those or what you said either

Cold wind here today - 

Dec

@outlander

not in the least...not wanting to upset you...laugh...I think we are both thinking the same..Cat HappyHeart

hello @Owlunar@outlander @Former-Member

great news about cat sitting....

it would be worrying about hereditary health issues...

a window seat on the plane a must for me...I have to watch takeoff...landing...patchwork patterns of land...wet areas...fascinating...

I had a ride with a pilot friend many years ago..a two person plane ...he handed over the control to me...wow...swooping..flying back up...sideways...could not do the total flip though...

I too am a book lover...also computer screen reading tires my eyes ....also has the same effect as you...

I need to feel the book in my hands...feel the paper as I turn the pages...opening and closing the book is all part of the reading experience for me...

I don't read Danielle Steele...I read Jodi Piccoult along with many other authors...

well have to move again soon.

enjoy your day...Cat HappyHeart

lol @Sophia1 i think we were! all good though Heart

@Owlunar @Former-Member @Sophia1

im glad your daughter will watch Cat for you, thats on less worry for you. i find if my pets arent being takne care of or at least have people looking out for them i cant relax.

ive never been in a plane, abit to scared to go up in the air yet but i actually really like to drive- road trips!
ive read some of Danielle Steels books, i dont read as much as i use to though. but id prefer a book rather than an ipad too.

Hi @Sophia1@outlander

I am really glad my daughter is watching my cat while I am away - my cat is my first responsibility after my own health - I know she is a cat and I have to be the boss here regardless of what the cat thinks but I am responsible for her and we all are when we take on an animal - I would not feel right about putting her into a cattery for the first time when she is an old cat - I spoke to the vet about her and she agreed it would be unwise and cause her a lot of stress even for a few days

But yes - the cat cannot tell how much I care about her and does have puddy cat melt-downs at times - one was when I had been up at Lakes Entrance for a few days early last year- I started getting ear-piercing meows as soon as I got home and she started running across the room and jumping on me - at night she did it when I was asleep - I had to have her claws clipped and then gave her excessive cuddles when she wasn't in the mood and she gave over the bad behaviour 

Mmm - yes - definitely Queen Victoria suits her as a name - Companion Cat is not her real name - her real name is distinctive and I might be recognized using it

I love flying Outlander - I can understand if you don't - it takes a little time getting used to it -  my first two flights were from Sydney to Melbourne in prop-jets which used to shake the whole plane and the trip would take over two hours depending on the weather and it was a stressful experience for someone not used to it though my father did it a lot for business - I got used to it in time and aircraft are more stable than they used to be and fly much higher over the weather - travelling business class means I am at the front of the plane and the jets are much further back so I can hear what people are talking about - this makes a big difference

Sophia - I have been flying in small planes - one thing I could do if I felt like it is go to the local airport for a joyflight out across Port Phillip Bay - I used to do this - it's a fabulous experience but I would not be inclined to take the controls - and I would not be in for aerobatics either - I want to keep my tummy intact

My eyes get very tired using screens and I do it all the time - when I have my annual eye test this eye I am going to get glasses with a blue screen filter - 

I used to read the classics a lot - I love the Bronte Sisters - I did my Honours Degree in English Literature so I read through so many genres in that time - as well as Danielle Steet I like Jean M Auel and I have read her books to tatters and replaced them often - still from here I can see a lot of books in my book case and they are mostly textbooks I still read from time to time - 

It's a sunny, windy day here - I did a lot of chores in the morning yesterday but find I have started cleaning out my shelves in the lounge I will need to keep going but I must take a walk on such a sunny day - it seems spring has come early

Tomorrow I will be ringing my travel agent - then I will be commited to flying from one end of Australia to the other - 

Dec

Hello @Owlunar

An achievement doing your honours degree in english literature.....such knowledge to carry with you for the rest of your life...

you must have some interesting stories to tell about your book reading over the years...

another part of Dec we might get to hear about once you have finished your travelling from one end of Australia to the other...mindblowing isn't it when you think of the size of Australia...

I would love to do the flight across Port Phillip Bay one day...I shall add it to my bucket list....

We have two cats now...I would have mentioned before that my beautiful soul cat left us two and a half years ago...we will be reunited with his grave once we build our new place...he has got there first...so very much like his character...he was very big....very bold...very loud....very vocal....many thought that he was ugly as he was similar to a very grumpy cat look...to me he was the most beautiful cat in the world...

the two we have now are so very different again....they get moody if we go out for a few hours...

as you  say if we commit to buying a pet or adopting a rescue one we must be fully committed to their welfare...as they are not wild animals...

so exciting about booking your trip....I am so happy for you Dec that you have all of this ahead of you...

keep on writing and tagging me

cheers to you all

Cat HappyHeart

Hi @Sophia1

I am waiting for my travel agent to ring me back - I wonder when that will happen - I could do all of this myself on-line of course but there is something like a safety net there for me if I used an agent

My 4 year degree took me 12 years doing 2 subjects a year - and through those 12 years I lived several life-times and sometimes wonder why I feel tired now - I had to work of course and then there was my son who died mid-course - but when I graduated it was a fantastic experience and everything I learned is with me in one way or another - it really enriched my life

One story here - there was a book in my Augustan Literature class - The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy - which has been described as a "co ck and bull story" but I found it fascinating. The first time I read it I really didn't understand it but I was intrigued, the second time I read it one page per day - it's not a long story btw - and the third time I read the whole book in less than a day and - wow - 1986 was one of the worst years in my life - I had two operations, a car accident and my son was in detention and died there so I was fragile and asked for Special Consideration for my exams

So I did them viva voce and one of my lecturers told me later that when I told them I was going to answer the question on Tristram Shandy out loud in front of three male lecturers he was really looking forward to what I would say - the book is satire at its most keen and really saucy so when the time came I took a deep breath and jumped right in - verbally - and got a HD

That is a great memory for me and they loved it - not many people attempt that book and I did after such a bad year - I guess that was a valuable high-point for me

Poor little Companion Cat knows what it's like to be getting old - late yesterday she followed me outside when I went for a walk but stayed at home and I forgot about her until I went out with the rubbish after dinner and she was on the roof - meowing pitifully because she thought she couldn't get down. I don't have a ladder and wouldn't be using it anyhow but she had to have found her way up so she had to get down - she wouldn't jump into my arms. Oh no!!

Eventually she followed me around until I found a place where she might get down and she did - I felt so sorry for her - I know I can't do what I used to do and she is my little friend so dependent on me though she doesn't believe it and she is getting older too and she got lots of cuddles when I was sitting down - she is a cute little cat and full of mischief and very clever - I love it that she does her tricks and it gives me something to talk about. She's in good health but I remember when she would jump onto the shed roof without touching it - and up onto the carport.

I am stilll waiting for my agent - I guess it's time to ring them again

Dec

Former-Member
Not applicable

Oh @Owlunar, you're so good with your companion cat 🙂

Thanks @Former-Member

She's a very special little cat and I love it that you see that

Let's see if I can find her photo

I am so cute and so specialI am so cute and so special

Here she is

Dec

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance