Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Charleysmum
Casual Contributor

Hospital admission

Hello, I'm new to this site.  I've been experiencing severe depression and severe anxiety since the bushfires, I had never experienced any symptoms before and I'm 52.  My GP has been suggested a planned admission for weeks but I'm so worried about it, not knowing what I'll be letting myself in for.  I've been given a choice of 2 semi acute units but have not a clue.  Any help from anyone who has walked this path before would be much appreciated 

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Hospital admission

Sorry can't help with admission advise , just wanted to let you know I read your post ! I find it frustrating when know one acknowledges a post. Good luck

Thanks 🙂

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hello @Charleysmum  its lovely to meet you. I am very sorry to hear the effects the bushfires are having on you. I haven't been admitted myself but I will tag another member below who might be able to help you along with a couple of our community guides who beside from being super helpful are the sweetest people. 

Welcome to the fourms, I have found this to be an incredible source of support and I am glad you have found your way here. Just remember to put the @ before the members name that you are replying or posting to so we get the Notification so we can reply. 

@Lee82  @Sans911 @Zoe7  @outlander  

@Ddizzyizzy thankyou 

Thanks for the tag @Former-Member 

welcome @Charleysmum I am so sorry you have been affected so deeply from the bushfires. I can understand that this was a very traumatic time for a lot of people. I'm not sure how much I can help but I will try and do my best. 
firstly I am not too sure what your GP means by semi acute however I would say it would mean how restrictive your stay would be. For me my first admission was for 6 weeks. The first couples weeks I wasn't allowed to leave the ward at all but after that I was able to leave for short periods to go out for a walk or down to the shops etc. I had to sign out and sign back in. Few more weeks and I was allowed to have daily visits back home. Things inside are very controlled. You are not allowed to have any electrical appliances or your phone with you. You have to leave them at the nurses station.  You have to participate in a few activities everyday eg mindfullness class or meditation or arts and crafts etc. medication is monitored and you see a psychologist every day. They do check your belongs on a regular basis for your own safety and if you go out side the ward they again check your bags ect. 
you do have a bit of free time everyday. There is also bed times you will have to abid by. You can have visitors on a daily basis too. 
I hope this has helped you even a little bit bit if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask me. 
wishing you all the very best @Charleysmum

What does your GP think about your exit strategy, if you need to leave the semiacute unit? Who will count as your next of kin while you're in hospital?

Take some books with you and some crafts to occupy your hands and mind.

Get to know the nurses' names and any cleaning staff's names etc. because they can make your stay more pleasant.

Wear a watch - that will allow you to go out of your room for lessons and stay in your room for the rest of the time.

Are you on any medication at present? They may decide to put you on medication while you're in hospital.

Ask if you can link up with a peer worker from the hospital and talk about recovery with them.

@Lee82  thank you for your reply.  It's feeling very scary being asked to agree to something I know nothing about.

I won't lie @Charleysmum it is scary and it does take a little time getting use to it but I promise you it gets easier as time goes on and you get use to the routine and it becomes second nature. The staff are very friendly and are there to help you with any worries you have. As @Gwynn  said take some things with you like colouring books which I found very helpful and books to read. I also got into origami whilst in hospital. One thing you should know is that you are very safe in there and you are there solely to concentrate on you and do whatever it takes to feel better. They will probably want to put you on meds which they will do gradually. It also helps to try and make a few friends with some of the patients. I was extremely reluctant to do that at the beginning but as time went on I made a couple friends which helped at meal times and we also had a little colouring group going where we would sit in the dinning areas and colour for hours talking to each other laughing. It helps to not feel so alone in there. 

That being said, don't take anything of great sentimental value - as it could be stolen or broken. I had stuff taken from my room while I was in hospital by the other patients.

If you can, lock your room when you are in it so that you don't get bothered by others when you want some time to yourself.

You may be asked to share your room with someone of your same sex - I would tend to ask not to have to do that if possible.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance