Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

perseverer
Senior Contributor

Concerned About Husband

Hi everyone, 

For those who don't know me I left work last year to care for three adult sons and husband with mental illness. My eldest two sons are diagnosed with schizophrenia. They have had comprehensive treatment, are both on disability pensions, and although life is challenging, they have good support systems. 

I often thought my husband has schizophrenia too, but a psychiatrist recently said he thought not, and diagnosed anxiety and obsessive compulsive personality disorder. What I have going on with him at present is extreme religiosity. He is playing online material such as rosary recitations at full volume often throughout the day. I can't get to bed because he is doing this in the bedroom. He is hardly sleeping and I am exhausted. But what worries me the most is his obsession with prophecies and spurious revelations. This is exactly what our eldest son was like before he had his first major psychotic episode. He is on olanzepine (interesting choice for someone who doesn't have schizophrenia) and this has helped to control his hallucinations. But I cannot help fearing he is deluded. He certainly seems to have no awareness of how his actions are impacting on others. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Concerned About Husband

@perseverer  Hi perseverer I have schizoaffective disorder and am the carer for my daughter with chronic depression and epilepsy, son2 with autism, epilepsy and schizophrenia. My eldest son who is living overseas I am worried about because I think he has bipolar 2 (which is currently being looked into). I know where you are coming from with the religiosity when I am manic I become extremely religious .... it aint pretty..... I would take your husband back to the psychiatrist and if you are not happy with the diagnosis go see another one. greenpeaxxx

Former-Member
Not applicable

Yikes @perseverer does he still have his BP diagnosis or just the OCPD and anxiety?

Mr Darcy had religious delusions with depression getting all upset as he had not got up at 6 am to meditate and was lamenting how bad he was because of this.

Thanks for sharing that, @greenpea, that helps me a lot. I did tell the psychiatrist that I thought my husband was manic a lot of the time but he did not agree. I am going to go with my gut and get another opinion, but it will be difficult to get my husband to comply as he was very pleased indeed with the last psychiatrist's opinion. 

Hi @Former-Member, I have no idea what diagnosis they have down for him on paper as they are too concerned with tip-toeing around his feelings. I probably won't be able to get any meaningful intervention until some sort of crisis occurs. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

@perseverer 

As you are already aware, APs are not TGA approved for PDs and only the odd one or two for anxiety. Risk v benefit should have been explained and no PBS discount would apply if meds are prescribed off label. 

Has hubby given permission for you to be involved in his care? I would certainly be asking questions around treatment. Irrespective I would be giving treating team my observations.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance