Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Molly22
Senior Contributor

Autism, Trauma and Mental Health...

.... go hand in hand.

I really can't speak to young children getting diagnosed today.  That wasn't my experience unfortunately.  Back in the 60's and 70's when I was a kid, no one knew what autism was.  Even when I did finally know a tiny bit about ASD (autism spectrum disorder), I had no idea I had it.  I even did some work fundraising for Autism Speak a few years back when a work colleague had a child who was diagnosed autistic.  And I certainly didn't see myself in that little boys eyes.

But once I learned about autism, about it's traits and characteristics, it all seemed so obvious to me.  How I could have not known.  I ticked all the boxes.  It explained EVERYTHING weird in my life.  I always knew I wasn't like everyone else.  I just figured I was weird.  Highly sensitive.  A fussy eater phase that I never grew out of.  Introverted.  Socially awkward.  Life was hard but I just drew the short straw and had to accept that I was the way I was, and nothing was ever going to change that, even though I tried.  I really did try.

Being an undiagnosed autistic pretty much guarantee's mental health issues.  Not fitting in, and not knowing why.  Females learn to mask better and earlier than boys.  I have heard us described as "little psychologists" by world renowned autistic author Sarah Hendrickx.  And that described me pretty well.  I studied human behaviour just like other undiagnosed autistic females in order to replicate mannerisms, know when to smile, and what to smile at.  How to nod one's head at the appropriate time etc. I developed what I now like to call "bubbly me".  I hate 'bubble me'.  She is so fake.  But she is well liked and always accepted and fits in everywhere.  She came in really handy in the workforce.  I excelled at job interviews.  I had this knack for just 'knowing' what the interviewer wanted to hear and then delivering it on que'.  I used to refer to my 'chameleon circuit', which allowed me to just copy whomever I was with.  When I was with the higher-ups, I would sound like them, talk like them, act like them, and fit in with them.  But then when I was with the blue-collars, I would be an entirely different person.  Equally well liked and accepted, and equally NOT ME.  But I never saw this as a bad thing.  But a very handy thing.  I had no idea.

Middle age has been a bit of a blessing really.  I no longer care about going out.  I don't attend parties.  I'm in bed by 7pm watching TV or reading, and asleep by 8.30 (if not earlier).  And I don't care.  I have no one to impress.  I live the life of an 80 year old at 55, and it's great.  I have no invitations I have to come up with excuses to decline.  For the most part I can do as I please without offending anyone.  But there's still a downside.  The masking.

When I first moved to this town (prior to diagnosis), I went to the new doctor, a young girl.  I went because my mental health was in the toilet and I was desperate for help.  I walked out of that doctor's office and all I could think was 'who the hell was that person?'.  Not the doctor!  ME!!!  You see I don't control the mask.  It just kinda happens.  It's a defence mechanism.  Usually it's some kind of mirror of sorts, of the person I am talking with.  I tend to just reflect back to them, if that makes sense.  And that is really unhelpful when it comes to diagnosing mental health conditions.  She gave me a prescription and a referral to a psychiatrist.  I met the psychiatrist a little while later and after a 5 minute consult walked out with a few more labels and a few more prescriptions.  Great.

18 months later I met my current psychologist.  She is the one who finally diagnosed me as autistic.  After a whole bunch of written tests, a 3 hour question and answer consult, and a seperate 2 hour ADOS test, I was found to be ASD level 2 and referred to NDIS.  I'm 56 years old in a few weeks, and was finally found to be disabled... what a shock.  I have heard that most people take a good year or more to come to terms with a situation like this.  First there is the overwhelming sense of relief.  Finally, you have an explanation.  All those things you do that no one else seems to do.  All the ways you are just like Sheldon Cooper (and BTW, I only found out Sheldon was ASD after I found out I was.. I can't tell you how many times I used to say 'I'm so Sheldon').  I spend god knows how many hours going over and over memories through a whole different lens.  Everything looked different now.  It all made sense.  Vindication.  But also mourning.  You can't help but wonder what life would have looked like if only you had known sooner.

Which brings me to the trauma portion of our evening......  There is so much I could say on this subject.  Trauma I suffered due to being an undiagnosed autistic.  Trauma I still suffer due to being autistic.  Trauma I suffered that had nothing at all to do with being autistic but just because I was adopted and grew up in a less than ideal situation.  

Even if I am not all of those misdiagnosed labels I have carried over the years (and some of them I am), living a life that no one else understands leaves a scar.  A big one.  And whilst it's nice to have other's online who can relate to my story, I'm still left with so many unknowns.  An autism diagnosis leaves you with so many unanswered questions.  Maybe I don't communicate as well as I thought I did.  Maybe I am not being as understood as I thought I was.  Who am I anyway?  Who is this person under the mask?  Why can't I just make a phone call?  Why can't the world bend to accomodate me for a change, why am I always the one who has to suffer and break and live like an alien on an alien planet?

NB://. I want to just add something to for the moderators who I have no doubt will flag this post for something or other.  I tried really REALLY hard to edit myself and no say anything against the rules.  I am not very good at this it seems as 4 or 5 of my posts have been returned to me thus far for breaking guidelines. I get it.  I really do.  I understand the need for rules and appreciate that.  But I just want it known that as an autistic person I just can't read lengthy guidelines or instructions.  My brain literally freezes over and I don't retain a single word of it.  I'm not officially diagnosed ADHD, but something like 80% of autistic are and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if I was.  I'm trying my best.  But unless something is spelt out in really short concise bursts, I just won't be able to understand or retain it.  Please be patient with me. 🙏 

25 REPLIES 25

Re: Autism, Trauma and Mental Health...

@Molly22  I'm sorry about all your trauma, and the conditions you suffer 😞

It sounds like you are an excellent 'survivor' and have done amazing things to survive. However, that you are sick of your mask. 

@Molly22 wrote:

Middle age has been a bit of a blessing really. ... I'm in bed by 7pm watching TV or reading, and asleep by 8.30 (if not earlier).  ... For the most part I can do as I please without offending anyone.

I can really relate to this! 🙂 We are fortunate in this. 

And I can't see anything in your post that contravenes the guidelines. 

Sending you lots of good wishes, @Molly22 .

@NatureLover  Thank you for the kind words.  I think we all just want to be able to be ourselves and be accepted as such.  I didn't write a fraction on the trauma related stuff for fear of contravening the rules.  But I don't necessarily need to bore anyone either.  

I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves to go to bed early.  Since I'm usually up around 5am or earlier, then I feel pretty justified in that decision. 😉

Morning @Molly22 and thank you for sharing your story so openly with us 💙
I can hear the struggle, and whilst I don't share the autism diagnosis, I think that feeling of masking is true to a lot of us who live with a mental health condition.

Re. the guidelines, they can be tricky to follow, and sometimes when we're in the middle of expressing our lived experience it's not always practical to have a second window open ticking off the guidelines as we go, but as you say, the moderators are around to make sure the community is safe. I hope your experience in this respect hasn't been too overwhelming, and please know we are always open to receiving feedback 😊

Hey @Molly22 What struck me the most with your post is your insight and great communication here. There is no doubt that a lifetime of living with a mask and not actually being who you are all the time is draining so it is not surprising you feel as you do. Whilst I cannot relate to having autism, I can very much relate to the mask wearing - and keeping everyone at arms length, only showing them what they really want to see and basically letting people walk all over me to keep the peace. I do not do that so much now - the keeping people at arm's length Yes but I will stick up for myself when needed to. One of the things that got me to that point was trauma therapy - but not in the same respect that many others may have encountered ...for me it was at a point where I just could not handle the ongoing exposure to the past and to be honest, it was making me feel worse not better - so I stopped and made the decision to leave the past in the past and try to begin building a life forward. This of course is just my own experience but I do also believe that the more we 'live' in the past it stops us looking to the future. For me that future is still only one day/week at a time. It also does not mean we do not evaluate our lives, know how/why we have gotten to where we are currently at nor wonder how differently our lives may have been if things had been different - but we also cannot rewrite history (as hard and as wishful we would want to) - so what can we do to live today and look to tomorrow? A diagnosis, whilst it may explain somethings/everything, it does not define us and certainly should not put us in a box. Find your own self Hon and find your own way - and whatever that is is more than okay because this world needs more people that are true, honest and unique in their own magnificent way.

@Zoe7 Thanks my friend.  

One thing we autistics do is communicate really well in writing.  That's why I text and email everyone.  Put a phone in my hand and I turn into a molten mess of nerves and tripping over my own tongue.  Not being able to make a phone call can be a real impediment.  I needed to contact a larger vet surgery to see what could be done for my Daisy, but I can't even imagine trying to explain all that over the phone so I emailed.  Usually in rural areas it's hard to even get a reply on an email.  Everyone expects you to phone.  And when I didn't get a reply for a few days I figured I might have the wrong email address so I found another one on their website and sent it there.  Now they are mad at me for 'inundating' them.  Can't win.

I can also relate to what you say about therapy.  That has been my experience as well.  I was even a bit wary about joining this forum for fear of just wallowing in my own self pity.  Fortunately I don't think that has been the case. 🤞 Sometimes its a fine line we walk between just wanting to be understood, and staying fixated on the past.

I am very similar @Molly22 I can put things into writing but have massive anxiety over the phone. I would also much prefer doing things in person so if there is something I need (and can't find it online) then I will go into a store or business to discuss. I did do well today with my phone appointment though - pretty unusual for me ...and my pdoc has previously wanted to see me in person because I am useless on the phone but with current restrictions that was not possible today. 

I think this vet place is being unkind - you obviously are concerned for your baby - I can tell you my vet place would not be the same ...I am so lucky to have such wonderful people looking after my babies when they need it - all the vets, nurses and staff are just wonderful. I do hope you get some answers soon though and you can help Daisy in whatever needs to be done 🐏💖

I do hear you about the forum Hon - there is a fine line sometimes between support and enabling - as well as getting caught up in oneself and not seeing others around us - but you are very much a welcome addition here and I do not think you are wallowing in self pity at all - everyone needs support at times and it was very brave of you to initially reach out here and also to continue to do so 😁

@Zoe7 Your support and kind words are so very appreciated.  Hubby is at the airport now, just waiting to fly.  I kinda feel at a loss as to what to do with myself.  I kinda want eat dinner.  Is that weird at 4.13pm.  I don't care, I'm really hungry.  I do have a tendency to stress eat.  Will have to watch that in the next month.

I would say go ahead Hon. I eat at different times depending on what I am doing as well as if I am hungry @Molly22 When I am at work I eat pretty much the same time each evening but when on holidays I eat when I want to. The fur babies always get fed first though - spoilt fluffballs lol

I still have 3 and a half weeks of holidays so will be around a bit - so tag me if you need company. I will be in and out over the next couple of days as I am doing stuff in the garage and in the garden but I can only do an hour or so at a time then need to rest - so will look out for you.

What an amazing, truly heart-felt post @Molly22 ! I’m am so impressed with your bravery and willingness to be so honest and open about your experiences.

I work with people, particularly children, with autism on a daily basis. While some families appreciate the diagnosis, others are far from wanting a ‘label’.

Whatever it is, neurodiversity has so much to offer society. Without disregarding or downplaying the challenges you have faced, modern society (esp in mental health) is moving in the direction of inclusivity. Of course there is a LONG way to go!

People may have a disability, but the main thing is that society doesn’t “disable” them. Our work is to enable people. If someone is “disabled”, what can we do to enable them? Hence the individual is not seen as the ”problem” - rather, the environment they are in is the problem.

Ive known people with ASD to function extremely successfully in society. Certain places thrive on the strengths of people with ASD whether it is their honesty, predictability, organisation, diverse viewpoints etc. There is so much to celebrate!

Im sorry to hear about the trauma you have gone through. It is your strength and bravery in sharing your experiences which can make a difference to society. Where I reside, we have “sensory-friendly” hours in libraries, shopping centres and movie theatres - designed with dimmed lights, sound modifications etc. purely to support those with hypersensitive issues.

I encourage you to continue reaching out. 

Once again, thank you for your insightful post.

BPDSurvivor

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance