Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Ma60
Senior Contributor

Trust

Just wanting to know if others find Trust a major issue in your life. For me it is one of the most important areas not only in my private life but also working life. Over the last few years especially when I have had a depressive episode I have found that there are only a few people I can really trust and feel confident to be totally honest with them.

22 REPLIES 22

Re: Trust

Welcome Ma! Trust is something I cherish. And I don't give it away lightly. It is one of my vital needs, to have friends I trust and who trust me. So it is mutual and equal. It is a key foundation to healthy loving friendships and friendship is the special key to mental health..I think it doesn't matter where you are at mentally speaking, it is wise to respect the value we place in trusting others.
JT
Senior Contributor

Once I lose faith in a person, they've got no chance of winning back my trust.  I've also found the circle of truly trusted people is a really small one. 

kristin
Senior Contributor

Hi Ma,

I really relate to what you are saying. This is a big long-term issue for me. I have a few people who are really close to me who I know I can trust completely, it's not that any of us are perfect but that we know we can (and do) sort out anything that comes up in the friendship.

I go through stages where I will try trusting a few new people, usually because life-circumstances force me to, and when some of them show with time that I can't trust them that much it just hurts like hell, quite excruciating. I have gradually increased my circle of good friends this way, but I've also got burnt a lot.

My issues with trust go back to childhood when I suffered quite a bit of neglect and abuse. I know this, and yet the problems persist into the present. I've finally got to the stage with it (now I'm 50) where I am better at trusting my intuition about whether I can trust someone or not, and being much gentler with myself when I get it wrong - because I still do ocassionally. The biggest change is that increasingly when I make a mistake I can look for what I can learn from my mistake rather than beating myself up for ages about it.

Thanks for bringing this topic up, it's a really important one and something that seems to go with the territory in suffering a MI.

Best regards,

Kristin

Trust is hard. It is so so SO hard. Smiley Sad @CheerBear

This is an interesting thread @Phoenix_Rising. I hadn't seen it before.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi.
I don’t trust anyone.
Have been hurt too many times.

Me too @Former-Member. Me too. Smiley Sad

Former-Member
Not applicable

👋😢😢😢 @Phoenix_Rising
Former-Member
Not applicable

It’s hard fighting every day and feeling like you’re getting nowhere.
No one to talk to
I absolutely don’t trust therapists or similar.
Most have studied, but in reality they haven’t experienced the sh## in life.
@Phoenix_Rising 🌷
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance