Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

Excellent @Smc That's what mine used to do, for years (before it all died out).

Mine was Italian Parsley too, not the crinkly-leaved one.

Adge

Curly leaf parsley does better in my cooler climate. Have rosemary, sage, oregano, bay leaf (a smaller shrub version, not the tree) and horseradish. Not really sure what to do with the latter.  I have previously grown chives, coriander and thyme.

If I lived in a warmer climate I would definitely try planting a bit of fresh ginger or turmeric. If you have a dry 4 months of 29+ deg  @Adge  (we use Celcius not F for weather @Daughterdid) cumin might be worth a try. 

I think Jackie French said you can grow lima snd other beans from the dried ones you buy in the supermarket but I have never tried it.

That parsley looks glorious @Smc! Isn't it lovely when our living plants can not only nurture us in looks and feelings but also offer us nourishment in food! Happy gardening to everyone here 🌱

@Former-MemberLima beans will grow from the ones in soup packets, but they need a longish, warm growing season. Similar to cumin. Other soup beans like Borlottis and Canellis have a shorter growing season, about as long as it would take regular green beans to get to the point of dried on the vine.

Cumin is on my "want to try" list. Meanwhile, Nigella sativa seed is sold as "Black Cumin" or "Black Onion" seeds in Indian spice shops, and the ordinary Nigella damascena (Love In The Mist) seed can be used as a mild spice.
I've got rosemary (3 types), sage (also 3 types including Pineapple), oregano and bay too. Several types of thyme- common, Lemon, Caraway and Pizza. Winter Savoury. Moroccan (I think?), apple, Corsican and native mint, plus a struggling sprig of Ginger mint. Corsican mint is cute. A tiny mat of intensly peppermint leaves, but it's fiddly to pick and use.

Thriving garlic chives, not so vigourous common chives. A fair bit of garlic. No coriander at present, but I have chervil self seeding each year. It's not as reliably vigourous as the parsely, but seems to be coming up consistently each autumn. Angelica, lovage and tarrragon have gone dormant now, Lemon Verbena is semi dormant too, but Lemon Balm is putting out nice fresh growth. I've tucked the curry leaf plant  and the leaf cardamon (related to the spice variety but doesn't get pods, just fragrant and flavoursome leaves) into sheltered spots away from the frost, and the tumeric plant has died down for winter. It's about 4 years old and I'm still to get enough to harvest... it survives here, but doesn't really get enough heat to grow well. Basil's all gone until next spring, and so is the Stevia.

No horseradish, but I have got some little wasabi plants.

And borage and fennel. Both self seed all over the place. I pinch out the young borage plants to use as a lightly cooked green, ditto young fennel. I've got a few well established fennel plants of the bulbing sort that regrow from their roots every year.

I may have missed some. Am keen on my herbs. 😄 They've been a major garden interest of mine since I was a teenager.

images (15).jpeg

I would like my garden to be productive @Smc  am still struggling to get anything done in the yard.

@Former-Member @Jacques

We have a gardening type thread here on carer side

Thank you @Former-Member this looks very interesting. I may learn some handy things about herbs, & vegies in here!
Love & Hugs!
Bella xo 🙂

hi @Former-Member and everyone 🙂

what a wonderful thread, i have just planted too golf ball shrubs, ive never grown them before, they are meant to be pruning free, i just hope they survive the savage winter im having, they have frost blankets around them

Hi @Jacques, welcome.

Is the Golf Ball shrub the bushy hedge shrub that grows in a ball shape? Pittosporum? If so, it's a toughie and should handle the cold well enough.

Hi @Former-Member!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance