Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: I need help for how people treat me because of my mental illnesses

ok well I am sure someone else can help you on here, not sure how I can @LFS

I think what needs to be done is to educate people what mental illness is, which I've tried to do.

But there is a lot of stigma out there for who people think have a mental illness that's worse than depression or anxiety. People see I behave a little bit differently because of one of my mental illnesses, I suffer from major depression, but also from psychosis with negative symptoms,  that affects me a little bit in the way I act, such as my emotions to how I even walk a little bit, and then people fear me because of it.

I have never had the positive symptons such as hearing and seeing things, and dellusions.

A fair few people have said I've screwed myself up in getting mentally ill. I've heard this from both non christians and christians.

wasn't quite what or how you were saying things earlier?  ..hope you get the help you need

In saying I behave a bit different its only a little bit, but enough for people to notice. The affects of the negative symptoms of psychosis have only been minor since early 2010. From late 2010 to 2014 I was working very hard as a shearer and crutcher, and got over worked, and was already taking sedating medication, that made me very tired so I didn't get the medication doing its stuff properly. The problem now is feeling pretty depressed to at its worst very depressed. I've been getting help trying to sort this out since 2014 without much success.

I still socialiase as before, only now I'm a fair bit more depressed, but this only effects my enjoyment in life really. I still behave the same as before since early 2010.

Does anyone else have any idea's to help me?.

@LFS,

Welcome to the forums.

I am hearing that your psychosis scares people. You are very correct to observe that society misunderstands psychosis a lot. I am sorry you feel misunderstood and left out. It is not because of you, but perhaps more because society won't get to know you. This happens. It can be tiring explaining and reassuring the public we encounter, day in day out. Organsiations like SANE are helping to get the word out, to hopefully shift some perspectives. I suggest checking out the publications here on this site, and bookmarking them, to direct people to when you are too tired or upset to explain all over again yourself. 

I hear an urgency regarding girlfriends. While I appreciate your Christian beliefs are specific in which gender you engage with sexually, do you need a girlfriend right this minute? If the people you have approached so far haven't appreciated you, then they don't seem worth you engaging with on such an intimate level.

Are you currently working? Your job sounds interesting, I have to admit I don't understand much about that work. Is it something you enjoy? What other things do you enjoy? 

Farming, shearing and crutching is something I enjoy. I try to help Dad on our farms, but since 2014 my condition has worsend, with just my enjoyment in life a fair bit, as i can't at the moment regulary shear and crutch, I try to do a little bit, but that's all I can do.

I'd like to have a girlfriend and have only every had one girlfriend and I'm 27, but because of stigma from other people it has made it very hard.

About the negative symptoms from my psychosis, no one know's about it properly bar my family, because I know it will be very hard for other's to understand, It's only minor but enough for people to notice at times'.

I enjoy watching and playing sports a lot, and play competively in aussie rules football, table tennis and tennis.

Has anyone else got anymore Ideas to help me?.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance