Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

LFS
Senior Contributor

I need help for how people treat me because of my mental illnesses

Hi I need help for how many people think differently because they know I have a mental illness
Many people think I could be dangerous because they I have a  mental illness and this distresses me a lot!.
A lot of people know I have mental illness, and many people can see I behave a  little bit differently because of it and they presume I could be dangerous.
I'm a christian, and have been since I was 18. And since then I have come to believe that the bible teaches that christians should only go out with christian's of the opposite sex, and definitely only marry another christian of the opposite sex. I've only ever had one girlfriend and I'm 27. People often have said I'm good looking and nice and wonder why I don't have a girlfriend. Some christians think I've never had a girlfriend, and think I can't get one because of my mental illnesses. And have heard Christian's say I'm better off never having a girlfriend. I would like to have a girlfriend and one day be married, but I currently can't get a girlfriend. Some Christians also think I could be dangerous because of my mental illnesses, and treat me as though I've done something wrong to have mental illnesses.

A lot of non christians expect me to go out with any girl, but I do think some realiase, that as a christian, I believe it is wrong to marry a non christian, as I believe the bible teache's and so do a lot of christians.
I would very much appreciate any help any of you can give me!.

18 REPLIES 18

Re: I need help for how people treat me because of my mental illnesses

Hi LFS,

It is Marchhare here. I am one of the forum moderators.Welcome to the SANE forums. I am glad you are recahing out and seeking advice and support from the members here.

I am sure that now you have made initial contact the members here will respond to your posting.

Take care,

Marchhare 

just wondering why you and also people of your same faith would think you were dangerous? @LFS  is this related to other Christians thinking you don't have a girlfriend? .. does it matter not having a girlfriend where you come from? 

No I don't think I'm dangerous, but other people think I could be, especially where I'm from in the country, including  christians, because they stigmatise against me the same as other people do. And as I said, some christians treat me as though I must of done somethink wrong to have mental illnesses.

Other christians know I want a girlfriend and see I can't get one, and some think it's because of my mental illnesses. As I've said christians have said I'm better off not having a girlfriend or ever getting married, mainly because of my mental illnesses.

I only sometimes behave a little bit differently because of one of my mental health conditions.

Well, it's probably not down to the Christians then , nor should you worry what the 'christians' think 

There's a lot of stigma out there from christians aswell, which make's it very hard in finding a christian girlfriend. 

well perhaps find a non christian friend? depends what the the issue is? @LFS 

I suppose I get flack mainly from other christians, for not having a girlfriend when they know I want one because of my mental illness. And I defintiely feel thats why I can't get a girlfriend, it seems stigma at the moment wins the day!.

Not much information your mental illness seems to be based around christian females and other christians expectations of you re being able to have a 'christian' presumably girlfriend? @LFS 

There is a lot of stigma out there towards me, because a lot of people know I have a mental illness, both christian and non christian. There's non christian girls who are turned off me because of my mental illness, just as christian girls are.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance