Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Art THerpay

Thanks @Former-Member - I am going to two places for yoga - one is 20 minutes away apx on Tuesday & the other is 30 minutes away apx on Friday. The instructor on Tuesday only does yoga during the school term & she had a big break earlier this year for some unknown reason. That session is $20 a class (ouch!) The other yoga was $25 for the first 14 days & I went to 3 classes, which meant I did yoga on Thursday as well this week. I am going to buy a pass next week for 10 classes for $130, so $13 a class. It is therapy for me, so I'm making the commitment. I also enjoy running, but I have become very unfit after two hospitalisations this year & very severe depression. I am going to try to get back into running soon by walk/run/walk/run! Wish me luck! I actually ran a half marathon last year, but this year I've mainly ran 5km distances & the most I ran non stop was 7km Man Sad It is very discouraging. I've had a tough year....

I hate feeling out of control. I became anorexic in my teens, because I wanted the feeling of control. I was not treated, but was later diagnosed with EDNOS (eating disorder not otherwise specifed). Sometimes I slip a bit & restrict my food intake to feel a sense of control, but it doesn't help my exercise efforts & also my bp can get quite low....

Anyhow...

Thanks @grubbytoes - I would like to find an yoga audio session - although I do find it helpful having someone to look at to help me to know what to do. I usually get left & right mixed up & have to look at people around me too! I hope to eventually not take the antipsychotic - I have done lots of research regarding this & "recovery" - I am trying to find a psychologist who does CBT for psychosis - it is a specific tailored form of CBT - anyhow without the antipsychotic I know my creativity will return. I look forward to that. In the mean time I "should" try anyhow - even if I think my efforts are not good enough.....

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks @Appleblossom - yes they have airel yoga at the 2nd place I go to. I wasn't brave enough to try it. I also shy away from hot yoga. I hate running in the heat - why would I want to do yoga is 35 degree heat?!

Remember to congratulate every effort you make @Former-Member... 5 km or 7 km ... I know when we are used to doing things at higher level we hate losing speed and endurance etc ... I feel like that a lot with music .. but still it is a good effort.

I used to swim a lot and havent been in ages but one day I will start agin ... I wonder how many laps I will start at before I build it up again.

I havent been able to run for a long time so when I was at the gym I used various cardio machines to up my heart rate.

Becasue of neck condition I factor in some sort of physical practise but keep varying it keep motivation going.

I have a couple of friends who are yoga teachers ... one designed a yoga dance class because when I met her I said I loved the movement of Tai Chi over the stillness of Hatha Yoga ...I felt very privileged and loved the flowingness and interesting choreography she had with us all coming together in weird poses. It was not all done to Hindi music but modern too. 

I am very tight with money that I spend on myself ... even if it is "good" for me.  I try and learn things out in classes and then do them back at home ... I can well imagine $20 a pop is a bit much.

Nah I cant see the wisdom of running in heavy heat ... I have been drenched enough in my own sweat not to need to put artificial parameters in ... but just do what works for you that you can get to and afford.

Glad to read your posts.

Jamc
Senior Contributor

Have found Zen Therapy For Adults Colouring Books good they they are colouring books where u colour in the pictures i turn everything off eg;Tv Laptop Radio & just colour in my mind is just focused on 1 thing  

Former-Member
Not applicable

I used to do Pilates and found it really helped me tone while I did running for cardio but no money now to go to classes and never seem to find the motivation to do on my own.

I also do colouring in for relaxation 😉

I have got blisters from my new walking lifestyle ... so far I like it and get some vit d .. but was silly and wore wrong shoes .. so its got be gym shoes daily from now on.

The shoes are important, @Appleblossom. I walk in sandals with good arch support and cushioning. Athletic shoes are better but in this climate feet get too hot. Glad to hear you are mostly enjoying the walking lifestyle.

@Jamc I've seen those colouring books, the designs in them always look so captivating! 

You should definetly go back and look at it...you maybe surprised ....Lso you maybe able to "tweek it a bit"..,. to make it even better...

That's "real neat" ...what a "treat"!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance