Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: 8 dimensions of wellness

Its a wonderful idea to discuss these things @Former-Member 

You probably have picked up by my posts that the environment and garden are very important to me.  It was good to read so many posts that reflect things I do and feel. Validating. I Plog ..lol ..  not thought of bringing tongs yet!

Hello @FindingStrength @Scoo @Boo13 @Shaz51 

Smiley Happy

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Appleblossom 

Nature has a way of calming our souls.

🦎🌼🦋🌷🐞🌹🐦

Thanks @Former-Member 

Heart

Except when nature is part of natural disasters.

Sorry I am very mindful of Vitoria's State of Emergency atm.

Take Care and Stay Safe All

Smiley Happy

Former-Member
Not applicable

It is heart breaking   @Appleblossom 

Former-Member
Not applicable

I am not physically affected by the fires but know people who are. 

For those who are themselves affected or  have loved ones in fire zones, it is worthwhile noting the psychological response to natural disasters and the need to be mindful of this.

images - 2020-01-05T083604.059.jpeg

As we are looking at environmental wellness this week, we might find there are ways that we can contribute towards this aspect of community / personal recovery.

Tree planting for koalas has been mentioned and I noticed a gardening club was asking people to start propogating plants so that when people rebuild they will be able to pass them on.  

Being at the other end of a phone and listening until a person has reached the stage of recovery where they no longer feel they need to talk about the disaster is a long term act of love that you one can give.

Reference:

https://www.samhsa.gov/dtac/recovering-disasters/phases-disaster

love the 40 tips about improving the home environment. @Former-Member 

soo much in just home environment alone

@Appleblossom, @Boo13 , @Scoo , @FindingStrength 

@Libra  this is a interesting thread that you will love xxxx

Former-Member
Not applicable

There is a lot in just the home environment @Shaz51.

Putting things into practice = the hard bit.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks to those who have contributed /shown interest in this discussion @Shaz51   @Scoo    @FindingStrength    @Boo13  @Appleblossom  @Libra 

This week we move onto the next topic of Physical health

It is well documented that caring for someone can lead to increased health care needs for the caregiver and they are likely to have lower levels of self-care or engage in preventative health behaviour. (1)   Please note: Emotional health will be discussed later on.

Research has shown that caregivers are in worse physical health including:

A higher rate of chronic medical conditions (ie diabetes, arthritis, heart disease). Women who care for their spouses are particularly at greater risk for cardiovascular disease.

Increased rates of physical illness (ie reflux, headaches) and have high levels of obesity and pain.

A lowered immune response which leads to things like slower wound healing.

Physical strain caused through assisting activities like lifting, bed transfers etc.

Research has also shown caregivers have lower levels of self-care and:

• Are less likely to engage in preventative health behaviours
  • Are more likely to smoke and eat more saturated fat
  • Will not fill their own prescriptions due to cost
  • Report their eating and exercise habits are worse than before
  • Have difficulty getting to the doctor for their own health needs

This highlights the need for us as caregivers to give our own health a greater priority.  Researchers have highlighted the need for:

• An assessment of family caregiver needs that leads to a care plan with support services;
  • Caregiver education and support programs;
  • Respite to reduce caregiver burden;
  • Financial support to alleviate the economic stress of
    caregiving; and
  • Primary care interventions that address caregiver needs

As they say, prevention is better than cure and to address this there are a number of dedicated health checks and screening services available and this list is by no means complete but includes assessment/screening for:

• People aged 40 to 49 years (inclusive) with a high risk of developing type 2 diabetes as determined by the Australian Type 2 Diabetes Risk Assessment Tool
  • People between the age of 45 and 49 (inclusive) who are at risk of developing a chronic disease
  • People aged 75 years and older
  • Heart health (age 45+ years)
  • “Secret” women’s business ie breast screening, Pap smears etc.
  • Bowel cancer screening for patients age 50 - 74   
  • Some practices offer skin checks and/or vaccination clinics

images (3).png

Of course, knowing about these initiatives and actually taking advantage of them are two different things and I can tick quite a few items on the lower levels of self-care list and active participation in these programs would be beneficial.

Whilst I have started to take some steps to better health, it has been a slow process and I am at the age when the body begins to wear out a little quicker.  However, even with the small steps that I have taken there has been positive measurable results and this has given me the motivation to take some further steps in looking after my own health as I know that I can do better.  For myself, finding an understanding GP and counsellor was very helpful.

1031-MeanBone_MPR_1119.png

Reference:

(1) https://www.caregiver.org/caregiver-health

Yes well @Former-Member my spinal health was damaged from my late 20s due to excessive physical caring demands on my body, let alone heart and mind.  There was NOT proper services or support for me.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

Further information:

For urgent assistance