Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

christmas?!?

hello all

is it too early for me to post that I am dreading it?

thoughts?

8 REPLIES 8
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: christmas?!?

Hi @Former-Member. I just wanted to let you know that there has been these discussions on Christmas that you may want to read or join in too. It seems like Christmas is on everyone's mind at the moment so you are not alone. Here is the link to a few

Coping with Christmas

Christmas Coping Strategies-jokes-and-poems

and topic Tuesday 13th Dec 7pm AEDT is

Is it okay to ignore Christmas 13 Dec 7pm AEDT

please don't worry about starting another discussion. I just thought you might like to look at these too. Hopefully you can just click on them and they will open for you so you don't have to look for them. 

PS this Christmas I'm petrified. Last Christmas I should have been hospitalised but didn't and was very unwell and my poor kids (4 boys) had to pick up all the pieces and cook Christmas lunch for my family. They pulled it off but it was a very hard day for me to be part of. This year I'm worried that I'll lose it again. I haven't been able to deal much with Christmas for 5 years. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

hello@teej
am so sorry to hear that you have bad memories of Christmas. mine aren't as bad as yours but for many years there was always something that happened and with my depression I find that every year around this time it worsens it is a pattern that I am trying to overcome. I thought by writing my thoughts on here it might help. I will look at those posts tomorrow. still trying to find my way around. will be thinking of you.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks @Former-Member. I wish you best for Christmas too 💜🤗

I am not coping with christmas.  The tv ads, the shops, the songs, the presents - just everything about it is not good. Supposed to go to work xmas dinner tomorrow and i really don't want to go.  

Xmas parties, dinner, lunches everything - i can't cope.  High anxiety. I just want that day to go away

Ahhh @Former-Member Dont we all ..

@Former-Member

So glad your boys pulled together and did food last year. Dont feel guilty or over anxious about it, So they should if that was what was needed for family to be together.

Today I sent an email to daughter touching on summer solstice and & silly season ... she is staunchly atheist .. hoping it was the right tone ..

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Appleblossom, hope you're staying together? Hope your email is taken in the right spirit. Good on you for not giving up. Be yourself.
@Former-Member, how'd you go this afternoon? Really appreciate your comments about elderly parents on the other thread, thank you 🙂 You have much to give.
One day at a time xox
Former-Member
Not applicable

Oh, forgot I was on a 'Christmas' thread.
Saw another idea for street view Christmas lights, one word ' M E H '
Former-Member
Not applicable

hello @Former-Member

thanks for pointing out the other posts. i still get lost on here and think it is part of my state of mind at moment.

christmas has many bad memories for me too.

my sister -twin - absolutely loves it. she lost her partner one week before christmas 6 years ago this christmas. i think it has been a survival tactic for her. his children one by one have released her from their lives after she has been so kind and helped some of them out with money. selfish lot.

my son loves it, my younger one, not the older one who is unwell.

my new husband loves it.

so i put the very merry christmas mask on the one with the very merry christmas smile on and now get through 3 different visits in one day.

actually i think i am better on the day it is the lead up beforehand. so much money is wasted as well which annoys me. i always think about those who spend the day on their own. tried inviting a friend up on christmas eve for lunch as she lost her mum and neighbour mum earlier this year. neither of us are up to driving to each others houses so we are going to catch up in the new year.

you have young children and that is what christmas is about as well. their excitement and joy.

be gentle with yourself on the day and love the special moments with your boys they grow up so quickly. if something isnt cooked properly or something forgotten just laugh it off if you can and focus on your sons .   wishing you a peaceful, loving day with your boys xx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance